• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly to the vet

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I took Molly to the vet last night as she has had a sore eye on and off for a couple of weeks. One day it looks sore and the next day it's perfectly OK again. I did notice while I was bonding her that she didn't seem as happy as usual or as keen at nom time. I gave her some metacam and she improved. I did this twice just to make sure and then booked an appointment at the vet. I thought it may be her teeth but he had a good look and couldn't see any problem. There was a tiny amount of blood but he used a metal instrument and Molly was really biting down on it hard. He felt her tummy which wasn't as full as it should be and checked her all over. Apparently her scapula(?) is atrophied and he thinks she has arthritis. I always think of her as a young bun but she can't be much younger than Dylan so it could well be arthritis. She is now on daily metacam to see if this helps.

Having Bumble and Frangipan with Molly and Dylan makes me realise how inactive Molly and Dylan are now - but given their ages, that's not surprising. Molly did enthusiastically nom spring greens this morning and was grooming Dylan just now when I checked on her. I don't want her to have a GA unless it's necessary but if she stops eating again I will have to ask for her teeth to be checked while she is sedated.

Molly has survived myxi and a hydro pyometra - she is a gorgeous bun and I would be devestated if I lost her.

Thank you both. She has still spent all the day in her hutch with Dylan:( I've given her some more metacam. She hopped from one end of the hutch to the other but wouldn't eat while I was watching. I will sneak outside later tonight and see if I can catch her nomming.

Sending Molly tonnes of vibes xxxxxx

Is there any way you could mover her indoors? It would be easier to keep an eye on her that way. Also keeping her warm indoors helps arthritis as well as space to stretch a bit more.

My Darcy is 8 this year and has osteoarthritis in his hips. I give him Metacam twice a day and glucosamine which helps joint mobility. What dose of metacam is she on? Rabbits can cope with much higher doses of it than cats and dogs and arthritis really does need a high dose if she can take it.

Sending Molly tonnes of vibes xxxxxx

Is there any way you could mover her indoors? It would be easier to keep an eye on her that way. Also keeping her warm indoors helps arthritis as well as space to stretch a bit more.

My Darcy is 8 this year and has osteoarthritis in his hips. I give him Metacam twice a day and glucosamine which helps joint mobility. What dose of metacam is she on? Rabbits can cope with much higher doses of it than cats and dogs and arthritis really does need a high dose if she can take it.

I'm not actually sure what dose she is on. I know where the mark is on the syringe though - it is one down from where Dylan's is (as Molly is smaller). At the moment I am experimenting with the metacam for Molly as I did for Dylan, although after a chat with the vet on Monday I am going to start giving his twice a day to see if he prefers it.

I have just bonded Molly, Dylan, Bumble and Frangipan and have no room for another four buns inside. I only have a small house and have George and Gemma in one room and Berry, Cherry and Apple in another room and Mr Banoffee Pie (Guinea-Pig) in a different room. If Molly came inside she would have much, much less space than she has now. Both her and Dylan didn't like being inside when they were being bonded. They don't leave their hutch much unless it's warm, but they know they can - if that makes sense and Molly does go and visit the other hutch sometimes to see if the noms in there are better than those she has (they are exactly the same).

Molly and Dylan have always been outdoor buns with a lot of space. Hopefully, the warmer weather will help both of them and by the winter the trio will be outside so I could move Molly and Dylan inside if I needed to and thought they would adjust to less space.

Thanks Amanda. Molly is still in the hutch with Dylan. I wish she would come out but I've been on a course all day so she could well have been out earlier. Will increase her metacam a bit this evening and see if that helps.

Back