• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you do? (re my vets)

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
So Bella had her op today. When I got to the vets - I was booked in by my bunsitter (vet nurse) - she also called me pre op & post op, so I'm feeling a bit like I'm being pushed away & not being dealt with apart from by a "friend". The receptionist is also normally really chatty, but she just saqid "Oh" when I said Bella's name - then nothing else.

Turns out the material they thought was an ovary at her spay, may have been an undropped plum. Today they have neutered her external plum & also gone in & there's nothing else inside. Basically - they spayed a male. Not a hermophrodite (SP)

Mum bun wasn't obviously pregnant again - although may have been too soon to tell. There was sign of infection in her uterus , so although removed, she's now on baytril.

Both buns had free ops - I'm paying for the baytril

I don't know how I feel about this - I don't know enough about what stuff looks like to know if my vets have seriously messed up & are now backing off in case I kick off.

I've got the name of the vet who did the original op - but I got it sideways from bunsitter - I wasn't told outright.

Not sure what the full story is regarding what happened in the original op, but if you are not happy I would tell them you have some questions and ask to go in and discuss it with them.

My first instinct is to be flipping fuming. I'd then do what you are doing and look at it rationally.

I have heard that wildies mature later and often have small uteruses but surely a uterus can be identified fairly easily and recognised as different to a retained testicle???? This isn't rabbit stuff either is it - it could be across the species. Surely instinctively if you didn't know what was going on inside wouldn't you have a rummage on the outside to check? Again, having not spayed a rabbit, I might be talking rubbish but it does sound like a mess up by that vet.

My first instinct is to be flipping fuming. I'd then do what you are doing and look at it rationally.

I have heard that wildies mature later and often have small uteruses but surely a uterus can be identified fairly easily and recognised as different to a retained testicle???? This isn't rabbit stuff either is it - it could be across the species. Surely instinctively if you didn't know what was going on inside wouldn't you have a rummage on the outside to check? Again, having not spayed a rabbit, I might be talking rubbish but it does sound like a mess up by that vet.

I agree with this. If the rabbit had been half and half then maybe the vet could be excused. But it's male. End of. Surely a testicle looks nothing like an ovary/womb? :?

I'm not sure what I'd do tbh but I know I'd have questions :shock:

So Bella had her op today. When I got to the vets - I was booked in by my bunsitter (vet nurse) - she also called me pre op & post op, so I'm feeling a bit like I'm being pushed away & not being dealt with apart from by a "friend". The receptionist is also normally really chatty, but she just saqid "Oh" when I said Bella's name - then nothing else.

Turns out the material they thought was an ovary at her spay, may have been an undropped plum. Today they have neutered her external plum & also gone in & there's nothing else inside. Basically - they spayed a male. Not a hermophrodite (SP)

Mum bun wasn't obviously pregnant again - although may have been too soon to tell. There was sign of infection in her uterus , so although removed, she's now on baytril.

Both buns had free ops - I'm paying for the baytril

I don't know how I feel about this - I don't know enough about what stuff looks like to know if my vets have seriously messed up & are now backing off in case I kick off.

I've got the name of the vet who did the original op - but I got it sideways from bunsitter - I wasn't told outright.

If the Vet thought a retained testicle was a sodding uterus what the hell did he/she remove as being 'ovaries'

Kick-Off, I'd go bloody ballistic :evil:

I would go absolutely mental, its their job to check everything is what it is. If there was any doubt about anything they should have warned you.

sorry your going through a hard time, on the uterus bit, mabel was recorded as having an unually small uterus, so they can see difference

My 'babies' (the accidental litter) were all neutered very early - probably a tad too early given that they have all turned out to be large buns and may have a 'giant' gene somewhere in their ancestory - but we were not to know that and neutered as soon as two started getting hormonal and fighting - ! Because of that they all (the 4 girls) had tiny uteruses (uteri???). Literally thread like - but the vet managed to easily identify and remove them.

She also identified and removed my wildies plums that were hardly descended even though we had waited till 10 months.

So it would appear that it is indeed possible to tell the difference!!!!

I am not a vet (clearly!) so I have literally no idea about it. But as other have said - if they weren't 100% sure - you would think they'd've checked more closely.

I also agree with you that it sounds a bit like you're being placated (is that a word? right context?)

Well when I went up tonight I asked if I could speak to a vet and got told none were free - fair enough. They they tried to charge me 75quid for spay and baytril and probiotics - which were out of stock. The receptionist said to me " rabbits are very hard to sex". I said "you didn't sex him. You spayed him".

I'm still getting too upset to talk about it face to face ( after killing the babies) but I'm gonna write to em. I also found out neuter was not free - my Bunsitter has put it on her account to pay it.

I'm not good at this ****, but I'm gonna complain my ass off

Well when I went up tonight I asked if I could speak to a vet and got told none were free - fair enough. They they tried to charge me 75quid for spay and baytril and probiotics - which were out of stock. The receptionist said to me " rabbits are very hard to sex". I said "you didn't sex him. You spayed him".

I'm still getting too upset to talk about it face to face ( after killing the babies) but I'm gonna write to em. I also found out neuter was not free - my Bunsitter has put it on her account to pay it.

:shock::shock::shock: Speechless.

Oh, and YOU didn't kill the babies, circumstances did, you did everything possible to save them.

That's lovely of her, but isn't right on the vet's part. It sounds like they may be trying to cover up.
If you need any help kicking off, let me know. I'm good at complaint letters ;):oops:

Oh, and you didn't kill the babies. I'm sending you a massive hug. xxx

Thanks everyone

will be writing letter today - not fair bunsitter has to pay. What's done is done, but they could at least acknowledge it.

Thanks everyone

will be writing letter today - not fair bunsitter has to pay. What's done is done, but they could at least acknowledge it.

Absolutely. If they'd handled it differently, you may be feeling a little different about them now. If they had acknowledged it, spayed both with after care for free and talked to you about it you may be able to repair the relationship with them. I would imagine you have lost all respect and trust for them now, which is a shame.

:shock::evil: Id be absolutley furious and would have lost all trust in them completely...Id def. write everything thats happened down - along with dates, times, medications, conversations etc as a record....what you have paid for, what "other" people appear to be paying for and would question why they are paying at all!

Id write - and get help - a letter of complaint going through your list of events so you leave nothing out and dates etc. Include all the people you have spoken with (and list their know qualifications too)....

Id also ask them before oyu complain again for a print out of their records of your buns...you can then use this in your report/letter of complaint and they wont be able to change their records of whats been recorded at the time of event.

Id want to know what was removed - Jane said:? very disturbing.

Im not sure what can be done - except no charges etc for what has happened...but Id almost want to report them to the medical/veterniary board....your buns life was in their hands under the impression they were qualified to do an op on that type of animal.....well obviously they were not!

so sorry this has happened...so very upsetting.:(

Back