• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bitten Genitalia

mjaufisk

New Kit
Hello there,

Upon buying two "female" rabbits a few days ago, we have since found out that these lady buns are in fact manrabbits, and not very friendly manrabbits at that. We had a scuffle between the two that resulted in the smaller rabbit being bitten on the testicles-anus area, and he was bleeding slightly. They've been seperated since ofcourse, but I was wondering if there's any way to tell how bad it is. His breathing has calmed down quite a bit since it happened and the bleeding has pretty much stopped.

We plan on finding a vet for him tomorrow, but it's 2am where we live, and we're rather worried as to whether or not he'll be fine through the night.

+They will be neutered once old enough/when the vet can fit them in, hence having testicles to be bitten :D
-Mjau​

Hi there, welcome to the forum, a shame it's not under happier circumstances. :wave: I am sorry you have had to deal with this, sadly pet shops often mis-sex buns and accidents like this happen :(

You really need to get him to an emergency vet tonight :( I'm sure you know that the poor love will be in a lot of pain right now. I believe that injuries in that area should be treated as an emergency case because of the risk of damage to urethra, which would leave him unable to pee. Unfortunately only a vet can tell you how bad the damage is. There is a thread about someone here who went through the same thing with her boy.

Please keep an eye on how much he is eating and drinking too. The thing about bunnies is that stress and pain can cause them not to eat, which then leads to gut slowdown. It's often called stasis here and is common in rabbits, but is very serious and can kill. I'm not telling you this to frighten you, I just want you to be aware of what can happen so you know what to keep an eye out for.

I assume you are in the UK since you said 2am, this is a predominantly UK forum so someone may be able to suggest an emergency vet for you if you are comfortable giving your area. If you're in Aberdeen I can tell you where to go but otherwise I'm not much help I'm afraid!

How is he?

Bleeding cam come not only from testicles or anus but also from a bitten penis - in fact this is the most likely if he was trying to 'head hump'

Back