• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Increasing space for a new bond...?

Jerseylotte

Warren Scout
Hey all,

You can see my recent topic here;
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?330902-Turning-tail-*friends-again-now./page3

My pair of mini rexes have seemed fully bonded and have been together 24hrs per day for five days now. I had refurbished the kitchen slowly with all of the cage and bits and bobs.

I obviously want them to be able to free range in the lounge as well, so I spent all morning hoovering the house, cleaning surfaces in the lounge, wiping vinegar over all the corners, edges and fronts of everything in the whole lounge (took a long time!!!), washed down the sofas to neutralise them too. No rabbit toys, treats or furniture was left in the lounge at all so nothing for anyone to own.

I picked each of them up and put them into the lounge with the kitchen door closed behind them (didn't want them to trap each other in the cage or anything). There was a bit of celery and some hay around but they have eaten together since they bonded on 22/2/12, no trouble at all and I scatter feed so that they can both get their fair share.

She seemed scared and cautious and stamped, after a minute he chased her and it rapidly escalated into him chasing her quite full on and lunging. I tried to see if it would calm down after a bit longer but it clearly wasn't going to, he seemed to really want to go for her whenever she was in sight... These buns had been friends, happily lying together and grooming...

So I aborted the mission and brought them back into their kitchen, closed the door to the lounge so they could forget about it and closed the cage so that no one could get trapped in there. We seem to be way back again, she is grunting and running away, but keeps coming back to see him and he seems really defensive. I'm sure in an hour or so we'll be ok again.

What have I done so wrong? Is their bond just way too young to handle a new space? Did I go about it wrong or something?

Sorry I am guilty of reading yesterday and not replying but I have no experience at all. I began bonding properly (all day) last Monday and mine moved into the outdoor hutch last Thursday and they seem fine.

I don't know what to suggest. How are they now together? I hope someone comes along soon who can help.

Sorry I am guilty of reading yesterday and not replying but I have no experience at all. I began bonding properly (all day) last Monday and mine moved into the outdoor hutch last Thursday and they seem fine.

I don't know what to suggest. How are they now together? I hope someone comes along soon who can help.

They were fine again back in the kitchen after an hour, totally ok with each other, she's a bit jumpy with us for a day or so after some chasing tho :(

Is there anyway of giving them a small area in the lounge and increase it? Not sure whether that would help but maybe if they adjusted to a small new space and you increased it slowly.

Back