• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Animal rescue

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Hi :wave:

I visited an animal rescue today when I was in the lake district. They call themselves a registered rescue charity which is open to the public but I was quite shocked by the conditions that some of the buns were being kept in. There were several buns awaiting rehoming who were being housed in wholly unsuitable hutches (3ft by 3ft) with no access to a run. They looked so sad and not in especially good condition coat wise :cry:

I understand that they probably had a worse life wherever they came from but I felt really upset for them in the rescue today. There were some guinea pigs who had more room but I was confused by the charity as they were also breeding pigs and chickens which I would think goes against what they are trying to do.

I'm also not sure if I should've said something about the buns living conditions but was too scared. Do you think I should drop them an email following my visit? I totally appreciate that they will be strapped for cash at the moment but felt very uncomfortable about the whole thing :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also forgot to mention that they also had a rabbit shed which doubled up as a pigeon shed so the buns were living side by side with the birds....again felt like this wasn't quite right. The buns in this shed were permanent residents rather than up for rehoming.

I have experienced this in two local rescues (unregistered) near me. Asking for donations etc but keeping animals in totally unsuitable housing. One even was ok with rehoming a trio - 2 dwarf buns and a german lop into a family that were going to keep them in a 5ft double hutch!

The other had a go at me when I stated I was shocked that they were keeping 2 fighting females together in a 4ft hutch. They said well it's better than where they were before being abused. Well yes, but, you're a rescue, so you should be doing the best by the bunny while it is in your care :?

I just tend to avoid them now. I know good rescues and will always recommend them. I will never recommend the bad ones. I don't think you can really report them - as long as they have food water and shelter the RSPCA won't really do much I've heard...:(

It's so sad :cry: I really wanted to give a donation to help them but at the same time I didn't want them to use it to buy anymore of the awful hutches. They had plenty of hutch and run combinations but these were being used for chickens rather than rabbits.

I've never really enjoyed zoos/petting farms but have never been upset by them the same way I was today. Some of the buns were sitting looking depressed and others were desperate to be out....wished I could've brought them all home to live in the bunny palace.

The worrying thing was is that they hold sessions on how to handle and look after your rabbit :shock:

I remember looking at my local rescue before Christmas for a guinea pig to keep my piggy company after his cagemate died :(
They have the words Animal Welfare Trust in their name so no sure if registered or not. But anyway we were looking around the outside rabbits and farm animals at the back of the shelter and we came across a old looking shabby dog that was kept outside in an aviary with no shelter from the wind or rain (In November remember) and all he had was a dog bed and some towels. He looked so sad and cold I almost cried :cry: I don't know why all the other dogs were kept in proper kennels but this little guy was all alone at the back of the rescue without a wooden shelter to go into :cry:

The rabbits and guinea pigs didn't seem too bad in comparison, some where outside in hutches in the aviaries and other were inside in kennel type accommodation.

You can always report and if the rspca think they are okey on a visit then they will just give advice, but now they are looking for more things to be right they are more strict than they ussed to be, you could always report to the council Licencing as they are the ones who licence these

Elaine

Back