• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbits should be taken away from me :(

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
I'm such a terrible owner.:cry: And no, before you say it, this thread is not for attention, I need genuine help.:cry:

This thread is going to contain a lot of things that are hard to admit, so please don't judge me too harshly.

Benji died in late October, and he was my soul bunny. Before that point, the rabbits were my world but after he died, I could barely look at them without bursting into tears. My brother looked after them for about a week. I pulled myself together and made the decision to bond Cupcake and Peanut, which went perfectly. During that process my boyfriend ended things with me and I was in a very dark place, I suppose in a way I still am. Nahla was bought for me by my boyfriend when we were together and again I found it very hard being around the bunnies. I know, I'm a total failure.

The bunnies were being cared for just the same as always, but my heart wasn't in it. When Peanut died, again I was struck with a feeling of failure, but getting Pud made me realise how special the bunnies are and how much they needed me to sort myself out, so things got much better.

But now things aren't going great again. I love the rabbits dearly but Pud's plums are nowhere to be found, so he can't be neutered yet and I'm going stir crazy with him living in my room, so much so that I have to put him in an indoor cage overnight just so I can sleep, which I feel terrible about.:cry: He has so many toys but all he wants to do is destroy everything, and because my room is bunny proofed he can't find anything to destroy, so he gets frustrated and tries to get out the room.

Cupcake is still alone because I can't neuter Pud yet, and Nahla is scared of me again because I barely have any time to spend with her. I'm actually such a **** owner, even cleaning out their hutches every few days has become a chore to me, I really think I have some form of depression or something.

I know no one can really say anything to help, but I feel better now I've admitted that I'm struggling.:(

Everyone goes through rough patches, I guess all you can do is hold in there until Pud's plums appear and you can bond him and cupcake.
Is Nahla going to be bonded with them too or is she staying single?

I know that's not much help, but you're really not alone and it really will get better!

Chloe, you're a brill owner! Please never doubt that. :)

I'm really sorry to read that you're having a tough time with your bunnies.
Especially with Pud, maybe providing him with extra things like little homemade cardboard treat balls with obviously a treat in the middle so he has to work for it or put his daily pellets in there would help stop his "boredom"?
Please consider yourself lucky to have baby Pud I would literally do absolutely anything to have a baby bun in my bedroom, even if he tried to destroy it. ;)

Please don't take this badly but are you not spending "enough" time with Nahla because you're to busy or cause you don't want to?

Hopefully someone will come along with better advice.

Masses of vibes in the post for you, Xx!

ETA: Sorry if this is absolute rubbish advice but prehaps it might help if your provide Pud with things he can "destroy"?

Last edited:
Everyone goes through rough patches, I guess all you can do is hold in there until Pud's plums appear and you can bond him and cupcake.
Is Nahla going to be bonded with them too or is she staying single?

I know that's not much help, but you're really not alone and it really will get better!

I'm planning on having a go at bonding them but she attacks every bun she sees, so I'm not optimistic. Cupcake and Pud are both very laid back with other rabbits, so fingers crossed.

On top of all that my crohns disease has flared up and college is so stressful, plus there's a surveyor coming to the house on wednesday and dad sas Pud has to be out of my room, but he's chewed a little hole in the carpet that I can't hide so I just know I'm going to get my head ripped off, even little things like that are stressing me... just don't know whether I'm coming or going.

Everyone feels like you with regards to guilt over how our buns are doing at one point or another, but here comes the different between a **** rabbit owner and a good one:

The good rabbit owner works through the guilt, and does the best he or she can for the buns why he or she sorts out whatever personal issues there are at the moment, whereas the **** rabbit owner abandons them physically and/or mentally.

Trust that the way you are feeling now won't last forever, and then you can re-build the relationship with your buns x

Chloe, you're a brill owner! Please never doubt that. :)

I'm really sorry to read that you're having a tough time with your bunnies.
Especially with Pud, maybe providing him with extra things like little homemade cardboard treat balls with obviously a treat in the middle so he has to work for it or put his daily pellets in there would help stop his "boredom"
Please consider yourself lucky to have baby Pud I would literally do absolutely anything to have a baby bun in my bedroom, even if he tried to destroy it. ;)

Please don't take this badly but are you not spending "enough" time with Nahla because you're to busy or cause you don't want to?

Hopefully someone will come along with better advice.

Masses of vibes in the post for you, Xx!

Thanks for the ideas, he loves cardboard and my room looks like a recycling bin the amount of cardboard toys he has, aha. I do consider myself very lucky, I love him very much but when he causes me to become sleep deprived which in turn makes my stress levels worse... it's hard to stay positive! Of course, I would never ever take it out on him, he's my baby and even when he's naughty I can't blame him.

I think I don't spend much time with Nahla purely because I don't have time in between college and work and trying to stay on top of everything:(. She is also such a "difficult" bunny, she hates people and bunnies and EVERYTHING else that breathes:lol:

I've been going through a bad patch, too.
Losing Sutton before Christmas really hit me hard.
Since then, Bobby (one of my two remaining bunnies) has been very poorly - in and out of the vet and I'm having to medicate twice daily.
Last week I just felt that all the pleasure of bunnies had gone - all I seemed to do was go to the vet, clean them out, medicate .......etc
I'm just starting to feel better about things now.
I think we all go through these patches when nothing seems to go right and everything seems a chore, with (as I said) no pleasure.
Gradually, though, things do improve and you are able to take steps forward.
Things will improve for you, too, I'm sure, and you will be able to enjoy them again.

Thanks for the ideas, he loves cardboard and my room looks like a recycling bin the amount of cardboard toys he has, aha. I do consider myself very lucky, I love him very much but when he causes me to become sleep deprived which in turn makes my stress levels worse... it's hard to stay positive! Of course, I would never ever take it out on him, he's my baby and even when he's naughty I can't blame him.

I think I don't spend much time with Nahla purely because I don't have time in between college and work and trying to stay on top of everything:(. She is also such a "difficult" bunny, she hates people and bunnies and EVERYTHING else that breathes:lol:

Sorry, but I had to lol when you mentioned your room looks like a recycling bin!

Yes, I totally understand when you don't get enough sleep everything is much more difficult and sometimes it's hard to stay positive. :?

I'm VERY sorry to say this but if you don't have enough time for Nahla would it prehaps be in her best interests to rehome her to someone who has enough time to deal with a "challenging" bunny? I don't blame you though for not spending enough time with her 'cause life can be very hectic and difficult to balance. Hopefully you will be able to make space to spend time with her or a gap will open up for you to spend time with her then.

I've been going through a bad patch, too.
Losing Sutton before Christmas really hit me hard.
Since then, Bobby (one of my two remaining bunnies) has been very poorly - in and out of the vet and I'm having to medicate twice daily.
Last week I just felt that all the pleasure of bunnies had gone - all I seemed to do was go to the vet, clean them out, medicate .......etc
I'm just starting to feel better about things now.
I think we all go through these patches when nothing seems to go right and everything seems a chore, with (as I said) no pleasure.
Gradually, though, things do improve and you are able to take steps forward.
Things will improve for you, too, I'm sure, and you will be able to enjoy them again.

So sorry about what you've been through with them :( This is exactly how I feel though, like the pleasure is gone from owning them. They used to be my whole world, not they're just part of my routine and that makes me really sad.

Sorry, but I had to lol when you mentioned your room looks like a recycling bin!

Yes, I totally understand when you don't get enough sleep everything is much more difficult and sometimes it's hard to stay positive. :?

I'm VERY sorry to say this but if you don't have enough time for Nahla would it prehaps be in her best interests to rehome her to someone who has enough time to deal with a "challenging" bunny? I don't blame you though for not spending enough time with her 'cause life can be very hectic and difficult to balance. Hopefully you will be able to make space to spend time with her or a gap will open up for you to spend time with her then.

It sounds awful but I've never considered rehoming her. I took her on and she's my responsibility, and in her own little way I know she's happy. She flops, binkies, loves her food... I guess I just put human emotion onto her and assume that she feels neglected when in fact she probably doesn't care at all:lol:

It sounds awful but I've never considered rehoming her. I took her on and she's my responsibility, and in her own little way I know she's happy. She flops, binkies, loves her food... I guess I just put human emotion onto her and assume that she feels neglected when in fact she probably doesn't care at all:lol:

Well, aslong as she seems happy and she obviously recieves all the normal care and vet care from you I don't see any need for you to rehome her espc. as alot of bunnies are seriously neglected and badly treated. Compared to them Nahla is treated like a prinsess like every bun should be.:D

This is really very late not to be showing plums - are you sure the vet knows that they can with-hold them when scared etc???

I take it you are totally confident with the sexing?

Oh that makes sense, he's not very keen on being held so I supose he might er, suck them back up there:shock: The vet didn't mention that when he went for his jab.

And I'm very certain he's a boy, he has a willy! And he smells like an uneutered boy, just how Benji smelt before his op, if that makes sense?

god so many things you have said, are EXACTLY what I felt/feel!

I started off with plans to bond a trio of single rabbits- Rolo, Smartie and Albert! with Crunchie staying as a single outdoor bun, and then Matilda being a single indoor bun!

But then Smartie got to Matilda, and hello Grayson came along! Matilda had bad health caused my grayson as he was a 'pencil' baby very big! So then plans changed and I was going to keep Matilda and grayson together, then she bit off some of Graysons ear when he was only 4 weeks old, so had to be seperated, that was heartbreaking, he would sit near the divider ALL day, just trying to get to his mummy! I have to wait for 16 week with both of them in my room, which was smaller than the one im in now! Matilda had a little pen area and grayson had the rest of my room! It was hell!!

Then he went in to be neutedHe was originally a SHE, untill he went for a 'spay' and infact he had retained testies, so came out as a boy! THANKFULLY they rebonded withint 6 days! and are now living happily in my room! they get more attention than the outside buns atm:/

Then my mum came home with Daisy, as no-one wanted her as she was 'odd' looking she was totally unplanned, I didn't want another rabbit as all the plans were sorted, but shes here now so thats that!

So that :censored: up the trio bond! as now I have to wait to get Daisy spayed in the begining of the summer, and then bon a quad into a kennel!

At the moment, I'm finding feeding and cleaning a chore!! mostly because, they are in smaller hutches than I would like, and I hate seeing then in them when they could be in a big kennel! I feel terrible that I can;t get them sorted NOW! but things take time! ive been planning a bond for over 2 years!!

it is SO frustrating and does really make you feel depressed, as I want to do the best I can for my animals, and I no I can in the future (by the end of the year) but it just takes time!

keep strong! it will work out in the end!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that makes sense, he's not very keen on being held so I supose he might er, suck them back up there:shock: The vet didn't mention that when he went for his jab.

And I'm very certain he's a boy, he has a willy! And he smells like an uneutered boy, just how Benji smelt before his op, if that makes sense?

Another possibility, is un-descended testicles. Where a rabbit physically doesn't bring them down, due to a health reason. It's a much more complicated operation, but not impossible.

Another possibility, is un-descended testicles. Where a rabbit physically doesn't bring them down, due to a health reason. It's a much more complicated operation, but not impossible.

Indeed - but it seems a bit of a co-incidence in a way - as its not that common.

Either way a good rabbit vet should be able to 'go in and get them' by now:lol::lol: if the vet is shilly-shallying about it try asking for a more experienced vet as this is clearly causing real issues.

Back