• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My poor bun PTS this morning, advice....how long do I leave him with his sister?

LainiT

Warren Scout
My little Maverick went in for his eye removal this morning, the vet rang at midday to say they'd taken his eye out and there was a huge mass behind, some kind of tumour and it was kinder to let him go while he was under anaesthetic.

Bless him he's only 7 months old, and was a real character and full of fun. We shall miss him dearly but I'm now worrying about his sister. They were at the vets together, brought them both home 15 mins ago. I'd read on here about the partner needing to say goodbye so Maverick is in the kitchen with Ellie now (which is where they've been living for the winter), she came over, had a sniff and then went off to hide where she always does in her quiet times.

How long do I leave him there? ...she's just been out to sniff him again, should I be in there or leave her to her own devices?

Feeling pretty rubbish and clueless at the moment they were SO devoted to eachother.

Please help if any advice to give. thanks.

I'd think if she's sniffed him then hopped away she has already realised that he's gone, I'm not sure though as I don't have any experience of this (yet) :(

So terribly sorry about your loss :cry: 7 months is way to young to go, but life can be so cruel sometimes :cry:

Sending vibes for Ellie and hugs for you xxx

My little Maverick went in for his eye removal this morning, the vet rang at midday to say they'd taken his eye out and there was a huge mass behind, some kind of tumour and it was kinder to let him go while he was under anaesthetic.

Bless him he's only 7 months old, and was a real character and full of fun. We shall miss him dearly but I'm now worrying about his sister. They were at the vets together, brought them both home 15 mins ago. I'd read on here about the partner needing to say goodbye so Maverick is in the kitchen with Ellie now (which is where they've been living for the winter), she came over, had a sniff and then went off to hide where she always does in her quiet times.

How long do I leave him there? ...she's just been out to sniff him again, should I be in there or leave her to her own devices?

Feeling pretty rubbish and clueless at the moment they were SO devoted to eachother.

Please help if any advice to give. thanks.

So sorry for your loss, binky free Maverick, taken far too young :cry:

I've always been told they need some time alone with the body to accept, I take the body out soon after they've been and investigated/sniffed it. This may be right or wrong but it really upsets me watching a bereaved partner realising their mate is gone so I keep it short and sweet.

Mind you, I am talking from past experience of guinea pigs. When Misty went to the bridge in December we found her lay on the floor of the wendyhouse with Sweep sitting next to her. We just took her out pretty much immediately and buried her, it was obvious she had been gone for a few hours so we felt that Sweep must know.

I'd think if she's sniffed him then hopped away she has already realised that he's gone, I'm not sure though as I don't have any experience of this (yet) :(

So terribly sorry about your loss :cry: 7 months is way to young to go, but life can be so cruel sometimes :cry:

Sending vibes for Ellie and hugs for you xxx

Thanks...its a tough day, gotta tell the kids too. :cry:

So sorry for your loss, binky free Maverick, taken far too young :cry:

I've always been told they need some time alone with the body to accept, I take the body out soon after they've been and investigated/sniffed it. This may be right or wrong but it really upsets me watching a bereaved partner realising their mate is gone so I keep it short and sweet.

Mind you, I am talking from past experience of guinea pigs. When Misty went to the bridge in December we found her lay on the floor of the wendyhouse with Sweep sitting next to her. We just took her out pretty much immediately and buried her, it was obvious she had been gone for a few hours so we felt that Sweep must know.

I'll see how she goes, she's just always been the timid shy one so I want to make sure she's said goodbye and finished rather than just hiding cos she's stressed from her vets trip

Still can't believe he's gone. Its no fun making the kids tea without Mav digging at my feet wanting cuddles. Just gotta concentrate on Ellie now and hopefully get her a little rescue hus-bun soon. She looks so lost without Mav.:cry:

Back