• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA bonding Rabbits

Stumpy

Alpha Buck
Hi Everyone

I went to the RSPCA yesterday to enquire about getting a little boy as a friend for Whisky once she is neutered. They said that once I pick a rabbit I want to re-home that’s fine I would need to bring Whisky in with me and leave her there for up to 3 days so that can try and bond them…

Im happy they will bond them for me but im scared and nervous about leaving whisky there for 3 days. She my baby Girl I’ll miss her so much.

It’s not for a couple of months tho and should be fine. What do you all think am i being silly or would you miss your rabbits?

I would totally miss my rabbits. I miss them if they go to the vets for a day.

What you need to ensure is how they bond, what they do, how it will work, who pays if she gets injured, etc, and ensure that you are comfortable with leaving her there. Also ensure they will be supervised 24/7 when they are together- some places will be able to do this, some won't.

After those three days it's likely you will need to finish the bonding yourself so ask them what you'll need to do and what they recommend.

I would totally miss my rabbits. I miss them if they go to the vets for a day.

What you need to ensure is how they bond, what they do, how it will work, who pays if she gets injured, etc, and ensure that you are comfortable with leaving her there. Also ensure they will be supervised 24/7 when they are together- some places will be able to do this, some won't.

After those three days it's likely you will need to finish the bonding yourself so ask them what you'll need to do and what they recommend.

Ok ill ask next time we go up. Do you know if i could just collect him and bond them at home on my own? i know im nervouse aout doing it but i dont really want to leave her there for 3 days.

You will have to ask them what their policies are with regards to you bonding them. Every Branch is different.

My boy has been gone for over a week now and will probably be gone for a good few weeks more as his bonding isn't going so well so he is staying at the rescue to see if they can find a girly he gets on with.

I completely trust the rescue 100% (they're a home run not RSPCA) and to be honest Sweep is probably in better hands now than when he is at home as she is so knowledgeable etc!

So really my only advice would be to only let Whisky go if you really trust them. Where I used to volunteer at the RSPCA they didn't really do bonding but all the staff go home at 5pm so don't really know how other branches manage to watch 24/7, or if they are just left overnight :?

Rabbits that come into us for bonding are here at a min of 7 days and sometimes up to 3 weeks it just depends. But then I don't send them home until I'm sure the bond is solid.

Back