• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do rabbits get fleas??

honeywebb

Young Bun
Sorry if this is a daft question!
My buns are outside bunnies & i see them scratch on a daily basis...is this normal bunny scratching or do they have fleas or mites??
If they do, will i be able to see them as you can in cats & dogs?

Yep they do get fleas and mites!

anything with fur can get them cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, chinchillas, gerbils, degus etc etc

as for if you can see them some mites you can;t as they are under the skin, but it may look like this , this was a holiday bun who had confirmed mites

252474_2162735306567_1192116864_2663535_7387789_n.jpg

260035_2162724426295_1192116864_2663499_1948254_n.jpg

as for seeing fleas, I can on my matilda as she is silvery white in colour, and if i back stroke her fur sometimes they apere, but 9 times out of 10, they DO have fleas as fleas get everywhere, so if the rabbits not treated its very likely they will have them x

Last edited:
Yup, fleas, lice and mites. It might be regular scratching, but you can check them. Look for any signs of any 'flea dirt' on their fur, any fleas moving around, or any white or red dots moving up and down the fur (these don't tend to cause itching) or any like dandruffy stuff or bald patchs too.

Another option would be to take them to the vets for a full health check.

O-Kay...thank you both.
I will give both buns a good fur-check.
Can you treat fleas as you would cats & dogs..ie the back of the neck drops??

If untreated does it cause health probs?? I'm sure Skittle didnt scratch very much prior to Mojo arriving so maybe he brought them with him (if they have them that is).

O-Kay...thank you both.
I will give both buns a good fur-check.
Can you treat fleas as you would cats & dogs..ie the back of the neck drops??

If untreated does it cause health probs?? I'm sure Skittle didnt scratch very much prior to Mojo arriving so maybe he brought them with him (if they have them that is).

Yes you can treat them on the back of the neck, tho distract or seperate them afterwards, as they will lick it off each other, I'm sure someone else will be along to tell you the exact stuff to use, Sky-o?

He could of brought them with him! as its very easy to spread, certainly fleas, as they can jump 75 times their own height!

Might be best to get flea treatment from your vet, doesn't cost much more than the pet shop but our bun had a reaction to the pet shop stuff and lost all his fur where it had been put on :( Vet stuff was much better :)

Back