• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fox proofing!

lauraaaah

New Kit
hi guys....im a fairly new bunny owner.....during the frosty weather my bunny has lived indoors.....now its coming towards spring i want to prepare his cage and run to put him back out next month.....although he was fine through last summer and i thought he was 'secure' im mortified after reading how easy it is for a fox to get in.....'digging there way under the run......biting through chicken wire ect
what sort of protection does your cages have?any advice?x

Run on concrete slabs (and personally unless it weighs a ton literally and is of super strong mesh and huge wooden posts I would not let them in it at nights), attached hutch should be similarly incredibly heavy, nailed on roof, all mesh areas shut up with board at night, bolts, and if you are really serious about this, with a sonic Foxwatch (c£55 one not the cheapy rubbish ones), and electrified cable. . . oh yes - and a padlock in case a human decides to steal bunny.

my runs made out of thick metal (very small built up squares)....and its attached to his cage.....problem ive got is his runs about 8ft long....and i struggle to get him back in his cage at night...as he just runs round like a nutter everytime i try and persuade him back in!i will look into your suggestions as i cant relax till i know hes safe! mite have to consider a smaller run so i have more control......but obviously a big run is better for his freedom!x:?

Food is the key!!! Our buns all have larger runs than this and all will go into their hutches for food -

Get them into the 'rattle of the cup . . in the hutch' habit!

If they wont do it for food then you are feeding too much:lol::lol:

Mine are indoor but I vouch for the food bribe, I feed a small egg cup of Muesli for supper around 9 pm. they both go mental when they hear me getting the food then chase me to the food bowls.

If I ever late feeding say by 10 mins they start to get destructive and annoying at the same time, I swear they have an alarm clock or something to let them know its feeding time

maybe im feeding him too much.....he isnt the least bit interested.....hes too smart he knows as soon as he comes near the food i grab him!x

Please don't ever be complacent about fox proofing or tucking buns up safely - I have had 2 fox visits in 3 days recently - for the first time in 14 years and I have 13 buns outside! It was terrifying for me as a bunny mum as if I ever lost any to a fox I would never get over it. I have spent a fortune fox proofing my hutches and garden and fences this past 2 weeks - the hutch doors are now double meshed, there are no swivel catches on any as a fox will scrabble and claw at them to get them open. There are additional locks on now and a padlock on one - I have made the fences higher at the back and put wire mesh round the top of my shed, carpet grippers on the shed roof and PRIKKASTRIPS on the fence as well as netting coming down off the fences. There is also wire fencing panels over the runs and I have bought a product called SCOOT which has a high recommendation for deterring foxes. I will go to any lengths to protect my babies, I am determined they will NOT get my little ones!!:evil::evil::evil:

My garden is not bunny or fox proof, so I've had to make double sure that the hutch and attached run are! They have bolts and good strong mesh, on the floor as well. I don't trust those swivel claps either.

well managed to buy some 'scoot' to put round th garden....i just need to meche botytom of run so nothing get dig under!thanks for advice everybody x:love:

Back