• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies

pink.falling.stars

Warren Scout
Im soo confused. I really want a bun, I'm moving into my friends spare room at the end of the month and she said I can have a bun free-range but only in my room, (because she has two ferrets in the front room free-range) which is awesome ^^

But Im might be only staying there end of March til June/July, then going to my mum June/July til Sept then go back to my friends. I cant have the bun when i go back to my mums if i do cause of 1 and half year dog, who just runs after anything..... so it wouldnt be fair on the bun.....but i know someone that will look at after my bun if I cant take it to my mums....

So my question is do I wait and see if I stay at my friends or get one and when I go to my mum let someone look after the bun?

OR do I just get myself a rat or something?

Has I really want a bun.
or another pet :)

x

It sounds like your life is like the typical uni sort of life of lots of unsettlement and moving around. How about waiting until you're stable before getting a bunny? Remember, you will be responsible for them for the rest of their life, which could be 10+ years.

Something that could do wherever you go at the moment might be better?

I personally don't think it's fair to get a bun in the same house with ferrets. I know they will be seperated at all times but the smell from the ferrets can terrify a bunny and it could live in fear.

Also, not a great idea to be changing where bunny is living all the time and I wouldn't be happy letting someone else look after my pets, even if I trusted them.

I'd get a rat or something :thumb: A bunny can be a 10 year commitment and you need to be certain that you are able to look after bunny for those 10 years, and it seems you are quite uncertain about where you will be living etc and the fact a bunny can't be at your home isn't great as that will always be your 'base' until you get somewhere more permanent after uni

Sadly the answer is dont get a bun until you can offer it a permanent safe home. Get your own permanent accomodation sorted first, then think about pets :)

Also, I don't want to sound hypocritical considering I have a bunny at home and 3 guinea pigs at uni with me, but I haven't moved for the past 2 years and my family are incredibly supportive and the piggies and Sweep will always have a wonderful home at my home if I ever couldn't look after them (which won't happen as I'm moving back home when I graduate and then going to buy my own house :D).

Sadly the answer is dont get a bun until you can offer it a permanent safe home. Get your own permanent accomodation sorted first, then think about pets :)

Thats what I was thinking, til I defo know where Im going to be :)

Also, I don't want to sound hypocritical considering I have a bunny at home and 3 guinea pigs at uni with me, but I haven't moved for the past 2 years and my family are incredibly supportive and the piggies and Sweep will always have a wonderful home at my home if I ever couldn't look after them (which won't happen as I'm moving back home when I graduate and then going to buy my own house :D).

It's fine xD I just want a bun but I think I need something pet wise I can travel with me really x

What you're doing now, by assessing this is a very good thing, so well done. Anyone taking on an animal has to have the animals best interests at heart and you clearly know that with how your life is at the moment you couldn't give the life you truly want to, to your bunny.

They will be worth the wait :)

It sounds like your life is like the typical uni sort of life of lots of unsettlement and moving around. How about waiting until you're stable before getting a bunny? Remember, you will be responsible for them for the rest of their life, which could be 10+ years.

Something that could do wherever you go at the moment might be better?

Yeah, thats what I was thinking :) But i dont wanna leave RU ):

I was thinking maybe a rat or something :)

I personally don't think it's fair to get a bun in the same house with ferrets. I know they will be seperated at all times but the smell from the ferrets can terrify a bunny and it could live in fear.

Also, not a great idea to be changing where bunny is living all the time and I wouldn't be happy letting someone else look after my pets, even if I trusted them.

I'd get a rat or something :thumb: A bunny can be a 10 year commitment and you need to be certain that you are able to look after bunny for those 10 years, and it seems you are quite uncertain about where you will be living etc and the fact a bunny can't be at your home isn't great as that will always be your 'base' until you get somewhere more permanent after uni

I never know that! Yeah I know I wouldnt live to me moved around load and it would be unfair for the bun :) yuup totally agree :) just wanted to advise.

Well....
photo.php
I was thinking one of there or something maybe.

What you're doing now, by assessing this is a very good thing, so well done. Anyone taking on an animal has to have the animals best interests at heart and you clearly know that with how your life is at the moment you couldn't give the life you truly want to, to your bunny.

They will be worth the wait :)

is that a good thing or bad thing? x

You don't have to leave RU :) You can still use this time to learn, hear bunny stories, talk to people, etc :) you don't need a bunny to be on here :)

Only you know if it'll work out well. I think as long as you know the person looking after your bun when you go to your mom's will take care of it well then it' s fine. I mean, everyone has to have someone look after their pets at some point. Unless they never go on vacation and never are gone for even a day.

I guess some rabbits could get freaked out by the scent of ferrets (maybe rabbits that are really nervous to begin with?) but I know many people who have ferrets and rabbits they never have any problems. I plan on having ferrets, american mink, raccoons, foxes, skunks, genets and other predators one day while having rabbits/prey animals at the same time and I'm not worried about the rabbits being afraid of the scent. I think it's rare for rabbits to not get used to it and realize it's not a threat.

Only you know if it'll work out well. I think as long as you know the person looking after your bun when you go to your mom's will take care of it well then it' s fine. I mean, everyone has to have someone look after their pets at some point. Unless they never go on vacation and never are gone for even a day.

I guess some rabbits could get freaked out by the scent of ferrets (maybe rabbits that are really nervous to begin with?) but I know many people who have ferrets and rabbits they never have any problems. I plan on having ferrets, american mink, raccoons, foxes, skunks, genets and other predators one day while having rabbits/prey animals at the same time and I'm not worried about the rabbits being afraid of the scent. I think it's rare for rabbits to not get used to it and realize it's not a threat.

ahh cool.
Im just looking for advise. And see what everyone thinks, cause people have different opinions really. :thumb: and every animal has a different personalty

Dogs and cats can kill rabbits but everyone thinks it's ridiculous to say you shouldn't have dogs/cats and rabbits. I feel like ferrets are misunderstood or something :? As long as they're kept in separate rooms there should be no problem.

Dogs and cats can kill rabbits but everyone thinks it's ridiculous to say you shouldn't have dogs/cats and rabbits. I feel like ferrets are misunderstood or something :? As long as they're kept in separate rooms there should be no problem.

thats what i was doing.....:)

Back