• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting bunny

Tx.

New Kit
My rabbit won't stop attacking his buddy

Help
I adopted 2 male rabbits march 2011; they were between 4 and 6 months old. I had them neutered immediately and they settled in as house rabbits, perfectly content with each other. They have a large cage which they use as a litter and feeding area and have the run of the upstairs landing and bedroom. At the end of January 2012 (after nearly a year of enjoying each other's company), one of the males (smaller, called Tom) has started chasing and trying to bite Silver (very calm and quiet by nature). I have had to separate them which is a logistic nightmare as I do not want to put either out of the house into a hutch and have two labradors which live downstairs who are not averse to chasing small animals given the opportunity. I have tried supervised playtime, vacuuming to re-bond, completely decontaminating and changing all bedding and feedstuff; masking their scents - to no avail. Tom spends most of his time trying to get to Silver, who in turn is quite anxious about the whole thing. I have segregated their cage and partitioned the play area so they can see one another, but have no direct contact; although Tom spends most of the night chewing at the cage and partition trying to get to Silver.
I'm at my wits end as it is no life for either of them.
Tx.

Help (I put this in the wrong forum initially, sorry, getting my way round the site)
I adopted 2 male rabbits march 2011; they were between 4 and 6 months old. I had them neutered immediately and they settled in as house rabbits, perfectly content with each other. They have a large cage which they use as a litter and feeding area and have the run of the upstairs landing and bedroom. At the end of January 2012 (after nearly a year of enjoying each other's company), one of the males (smaller, called Tom) has started chasing and trying to bite Silver (very calm and quiet by nature). I have had to separate them which is a logistic nightmare as I do not want to put either out of the house into a hutch and have two labradors which live downstairs who are not averse to chasing small animals given the opportunity. I have tried supervised playtime, vacuuming to re-bond, completely decontaminating and changing all bedding and feedstuff; masking their scents - to no avail. Tom spends most of his time trying to get to Silver, who in turn is quite anxious about the whole thing. I have segregated their cage and partitioned the play area so they can see one another, but have no direct contact; although Tom spends most of the night chewing at the cage and partition trying to get to Silver.
I'm at my wits end as it is no life for either of them.
Tx.

Have you taken them to the vets to check if there is an underlying health problem causing the fighting? I had two brothers who started fighting and when I took them to the vets one had spurs on his molars and a sore tongue because of them.

Have they both had a very check? A thorough one?

Has anytihng changed within their or your lives around the time the issue started?

Welcome to the site :) Don't worry about putting a thread in the wrong place, the mods can easily move them :) Happens to us all!

Has Tom actually pulled fur/injured Silver? Some bunnies do a bit of chasing but obviously this sounds like Tom is really trying to hurt Silver.

I would get a vet check done on both of them like other members have mentioned. Have you had a new animal in the house at all? I've heard that people use a car ride to try to re-bond bunnies, apparently it soothes them.

Welcome to the forum, sorry it's under a rather stressful situation.

Fighting bunny (not sure if I'm doing the threads right)

The night that it all kicked off, I had put a cardboard box in their cage as the dogs had been barking downstairs and the rabbits are shooed onto the landing during the night (or they make a racket in my daughter's bedroom - they had a free run in there during the day) - I had put the box in the cage for Silver as I thought he might like a little shelter in there. Tom took exception to the box and was dragging it and trying to get it out of the cage (which is always open). I did think he was really hacked off with the box, but didn't think that would be the cause of his aggression towards Silver. I was thinking of taking them out for a long drive in the car, but I was scared if they were trapped in the carrier, Tom might do some real damage.
I was also thinking that they were taken to the adoption centre because of the fighting and they had perhaps rebonded after being in the centre and transported willy-nilly. The real Tommy maybe coming to the fore now that Spring is in the air again. Silver's feet were yellow with urine and neither of them can bear to be picked up (I lie on the floor with them) - so I think they were neglected by the time I had them.

Back