• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting rabbits to come to you

Alicia

Mama Doe
How do you do it? I don't let my rabbits free range because I can't catch them (and I was worried after what happened to Molly) we have now blocked off the only way they could have got out of the garden. My rabbits have a tunnel connecting their run to a run on the grass, and Archie has managed to get out of it, and he hopped round the garden. I sat down on the floor and held my hand out and he came over and I picked him up. I feel bad because I think he thought I had food, but he did get a dandelion when he went back in the run.
Can you teach them to come back to you? If they'd come back to me they could free range :) I've been saying come here and whenever he does he gets a treat, do you think if I keep doing that it will work?

Last edited:
iv only recently started letting mine have supervised free range in a blocked of part of the garden and once mine are out they will come up and see me until i go to pick them up :lol: i tend to have to gently herd them into the corner so i can pick them up with out chasing them :lol:

We have one who will come when his name is called. The other three just tell you to leave a message and they will get back to you.:)

Use treats and calling their name. Mine put themselves away! Or I just shake their treat jar and the rattling of fenugreek crunchies does the trick.

It does take time to get to this stage....it took 2 years for me!! Mrs learnt and Roland copied...

You need to make sure that most of the time they come over they get a treat or a stroke so they don't realise you're always calling them over to picked up. Or they'll never come.

My two mostly come over when they think I have treats.

it is really quite simple

don't overfeed them !

if they are overfed they have no incentive to come to you when you call

if you call them each time you put out their pellets, they learn to come when called

mine now rush me when I call

Most of mine will come when called by name but they all put themselves away when I shout "tea time", even my fosters know what "tea time" means now

My guys free range in the garden most days because it is small and OH works from the conservatory so he can watch them. When it is time to get shut away at night they see me coming with their tea and dash inside. If they miss me going out they soon come when they here me scattering the food around.

Mine come when I crack a fenugreek crunchie in half. Tis most amusing. They boop my legs until they get their bit!

I run my nail scratchily over a rich tea-style biscuit and instantly, she's at my foot, scenting the air expectantly...

I thought I should ETA that she only gets a thumbnail-sized piece, not the whole biscuit. :love:

Last edited:
Back