• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits that come into or go out of our lives for a reason

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Do you believe that can happen?

Do you have any situations where you believe a bunny has arrived for a purpose and left when his/her purpose was fulfilled (sort of like Mary Poppins Bunnies :lol:)? Or just arrived for a purpose? Or left for a purpose?

(how many times can one person say 'purpose'???)

Without a doubt, Mimzy came to me to keep me going after being two years into my cancer diagnosis.
He was dumped with two REW's at my OH's business. I'd had no intention of keeping rabbits (we had several dogs and cats already) but we did bring him home and my life went from 'who cares?' to 'how did I live without you?' overnight.
That's not to say I had nothing to live/be thankful for previous to finding Mimzy, but he has taught me so much about cherishing the moment. One thinks about striving onward through illness for the sake of mate or children, but a part of me says, yeah, they could manage without me. But Mimzy (and Pip and Fiver) cannot. I think I now more properly view all my animal companions this way. They are the primary reason currently that I am 'needed'. Therefore, I get out of bed in the morning and do my best to remember that now is where I am and it is important and precious.

Off my soapbox. ;)

Yes, Nino. He healed me from being housebound with ME and stayed with me whilst I finished my degree, sat beside my chair all hours whilst I worked at my desk or slept on the sofa, and got better and got pregnant and then to see little Sammy and then left us when he was 6wks old and his job was done. He also healed Poppy. He is very much missed but we are all so much better for having had him in our lives. We didn't choose him, he chose us x

Last edited:
Without a doubt, Mimzy came to me to keep me going after being two years into my cancer diagnosis.
He was dumped with two REW's at my OH's business. I'd had no intention of keeping rabbits (we had several dogs and cats already) but we did bring him home and my life went from 'who cares?' to 'how did I live without you?' overnight.
That's not to say I had nothing to live/be thankful for previous to finding Mimzy, but he has taught me so much about cherishing the moment. One thinks about striving onward through illness for the sake of mate or children, but a part of me says, yeah, they could manage without me. But Mimzy (and Pip and Fiver) cannot. I think I now more properly view all my animal companions this way. They are the primary reason currently that I am 'needed'. Therefore, I get out of bed in the morning and do my best to remember that now is where I am and it is important and precious.

Off my soapbox. ;)

:love:

My Squidgy. He arrived in a box with overgrown teeth, having been abandoned when his owners moved house. I didn't intend to have another bunny - I had 2 outside - but he kind of popped his head out of the box and stole my heart.
I was living at my own on the time, and he was my companion, my soul mate, and helped me through my loneliness. He was always there for me, and knew when I was upset and would lick my forehead.
When I met my o/h, he feel in love with Squidgy and vice versa and we all moved in together, one happy little family. My o/h worked from home at the time, and him and Squidgy would keep each other company.He lived with us here for 7 years until we had to help him to the bridge.
He left us just at the time my o/h got a job where he could no longer work at home, I had the opportunity to take on an office, so no one would have been home. We also desperately needed work doing on the house, which we couldn't do while Squidgy was in it.
He still lives on in our hearts and in our garden where he has his own special rose.

I've had a cat come into my life for a reason (hope it's OK to include her?:oops:)

Life became overwhelming in 2010. I was working three jobs so had virtually no time off, my finances were dire (as they still are), a long standing close friendship fell apart as did a sexual relationship. I kept being physically ill but still worked and eventually burnt out and had to have time off work, which meant too much time alone. I ended up feeling suicidal and the only obstacle was my fur family. I remember sitting and writing a list of who would have which pet.

Pippa was a six month old kitten who turned up at my neighbours. They gave her to me to 'sort out' or they were going to take her and dump her. Rescues were all full so she stayed with me and soon won my heart. She was incredibly affectionate and totally adored me, following me everywhere. Given that she was of an age where she could get pregnant I had her spayed, vaccinated and microchipped.

When I put a collar on her for the first time she purred and purred. It was as though she knew she had found a home. How could I leave her when she felt secure? I just couldn't do it. I remember going to see the Samaritans and stayed there for a couple of hours crying saying that I didn't know what to do with my animals if I took my own life. They were wonderful and just gave me space to cry and sit and 'be'.

Pippa is still a wonderful little cat but she isn't as clingy as she used to be. She doesn't go far from the house but isn't my shadow any longer.

I genuinely believe she was 'sent' to me at a particularly difficult time in my life to give me someone to live for - which makes it sound like my other animals weren't special enough, which isn't what I mean at all. Maybe my Dad sent her - he always loved animals but had severe allergies so was unable to keep cats.

Definitely.

Dennis hated other rabbits and so became a house bun, something I never intended to have.

When one of our shed bun's Dex passed due to old age we decided to rescue one from a situation on here.

Vincent came home with us. At 8 weeks he had survived cocci, was suffering with snuffles and generally underweight.
So he was not able to go outside straight away and lived in our kitchen.

Just as he was getting well enough we were debating when to put him outside but by this point we had grown to loving him inside. I said it was selfish to not let him have a friend. But my husband said I don't want two in the house... We went round and round in circles, not sure what to do...
We thought about bonding him to Dennis but that seemed unlikely. Dennis attacked every single rabbit he came in to contact to.

Until this one day. We let him out and he ran over to Vincent and they sniffed.

The next day he fell ill and we lost him, due to his heart condition.

Husband and I were heartbroken and there was no way V was going outside now. Dennis left such a huge gap, physically and emotionally. So we moved V into D's cage immediately and chucked V's cage away with no intention of getting any more.

Then Jo Batmobile on here contacted me and asked if I would rehome a bun she knew was unwanted.

The plan was for Meg to go outside with the trio.

Meg came to us as a house rabbit and couldn't go outside straight away.

You guessed it. She fell in love with V and we now have two house rabbits :lol::love:

It was a real strange version of events... I'm convinced V came to us as a 'replacement' for D as it would've been heart breaking to have an empty house.

I do believe this with any animal. Last April I fostered Jasper an old and badly neglected Cavalier King Charles spaniel. I wasn't going to keep him but of course he stayed. In July one of my other dogs Jet suddenly became ill and eventually had to be pts. I was devastated to lose Jet so suddenly, but I truly believe Jasper was sent to help me through that time (I was completely heartbroken), and meant my other dog Harry still had a companion.

I do believe this with any animal. Last April I fostered Jasper an old and badly neglected Cavalier King Charles spaniel. I wasn't going to keep him but of course he stayed. In July one of my other dogs Jet suddenly became ill and eventually had to be pts. I was devastated to lose Jet so suddenly, but I truly believe Jasper was sent to help me through that time (I was completely heartbroken), and meant my other dog Harry still had a companion.

Awww, that's sweet :love:

:love: I love that other people have had such special animals.

I couldn't bring myself to reply to this.

Sky came into my life the very day I had to quit uni due to my 'issues'. He's been by my side ever since. He's tethered me to life. Sadly.

I've been through many phases since he's been with me and each time I've been scared I will lose him. I'm starting the biggest and scariest, and I'm terrified that 'date' or 'destiny' or 'the universe' will decide he doesn't need to be with me anymore because I'm not where I was. I'm terrified of that. Absolutely terrified.

I still need him so much and always will. He's my best friend. He stuck about longer than anyone else has once they have seen me in such a state as he has.

I'm so scared he will go once I'm back to work.

:love: I love that other people have had such special animals.

I couldn't bring myself to reply to this.

Sky came into my life the very day I had to quit uni due to my 'issues'. He's been by my side ever since. He's tethered me to life. Sadly.

I've been through many phases since he's been with me and each time I've been scared I will lose him. I'm starting the biggest and scariest, and I'm terrified that 'date' or 'destiny' or 'the universe' will decide he doesn't need to be with me anymore because I'm not where I was. I'm terrified of that. Absolutely terrified.

I still need him so much and always will. He's my best friend. He stuck about longer than anyone else has once they have seen me in such a state as he has.

I'm so scared he will go once I'm back to work.

You will have many challenges once you are back at work. It doesn't just stop. Like arsey customers (although I personally love horrible customers and being overly polite to them).

Grim came to me when my depression was really bad. My depression got even worse, I had to quit uni, I then had to quit my job. It was at this time that he developed his two jaw abscesses. Without having to nurse him I would never have got out of bed in the mornings. He saved me and I saved him. It's a very special relationship.

I eventually got to a point where I could go back to uni. I was then at a point that I was doing very well. Grim didn't leave. I've struck a hard part again but this time I think I am coping with it very well, the depression hasn't come back where it would always have done before in this situation. And Grim is still here.

Rabbits come into our lives, sometimes they help us, but when they've helped they don't just go, their reward is a long and happy life with us. Mary Poppins came back too. :)

Back