• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am Feeling Low About my Rabbits :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Of course I know that noBun can live forever, and thinking of losing a Bun whilst they are still here is totally pointless and can detract from the joy of having them. But so many of my Buns are now very aged and/or health compromised. In recent weeks they are all showing their age. Realistically I know that I am very likely to lose quite a few of them this year :cry: The Rabbits I have now will be my last, so it all seems so very......well.......final :cry:

Sorry for such a 'downer' thread :cry:

I know how you feel, Jane. I'm doing similar with my old cat. He's 17 this year, I've had him since birth and he's just started showing some worrying signs which mean vets. :( It is very scary and such a shame when the worry is so great. I hope you can try to push the joy of having their companionship currently above the worry, as I will keep trying to do.

*squishes tight*

Esentially you're grieving now- not just for individual bunnies but also for an era, for all you've done, for all you can do. For the huge chnge in your life.

That's totally understandable, so don't beat yourself up for it.

Can you think of maybe what you could do with all your knowledge for when you don't have your own bunnies anymore? And what you could potentially do at that point?

I know you say these will be your last, but I do wonder whether there might be the possibility, for example, of having just one unbondable bunny? I know there are a huge amount of factors that have led you to knowing you can't do in the future what you do now, but maybe you could with just one?

It is a sad thought but.............. in the circle of life..... we humans naturally live longer than our precious animals. :cry:

So .........what we must do is our very best for them every day and when the day happens.... be grateful that they were given to us to care for.

And then continuing caring for the next ones that life offers to us.

Not much help perhaps but.......we cannot change our lifespan or theirs, and its destructive to think that we can.

Just love love love them while you can

((((((((hugs)))))))))

:wave:

I'm afraid these thoughts often get played over in my own head. I just took all three of my bunnies for their well checks today. My poor Mimzy was looking a bit the worse for wear during and after the whole ordeal. I have to admit to myself that he's about to push into senior territory. :(
I do believe in an afterlife, so I try to keep in mind that each goodbye is only till we next meet...but I am only human and so I don't look upon the prospect with 100% comfort.
My three rabbits are the only ones I'll have, so the finality is doubly burdensome.
Still...all they have to do is nose wiggle...or binky...or fix me with a good stinkeye and I can't help but smile. I'd not trade everything we've gone through, nor what lies ahead, for anything. I can only hope I've enriched their lives as much as they have mine.

Why must they be your last? Rabbits or any pet are such an essential therapy and companion for anyone who lives alone xxx

*squishes tight*

Esentially you're grieving now- not just for individual bunnies but also for an era, for all you've done, for all you can do. For the huge chnge in your life.

That's totally understandable, so don't beat yourself up for it.

Can you think of maybe what you could do with all your knowledge for when you don't have your own bunnies anymore? And what you could potentially do at that point?

I know you say these will be your last, but I do wonder whether there might be the possibility, for example, of having just one unbondable bunny? I know there are a huge amount of factors that have led you to knowing you can't do in the future what you do now, but maybe you could with just one?

This. I hadn't realised Sky-O had already said what was in my head. x

Why must they be your last? Rabbits or any pet are such an essential therapy and companion for anyone who lives alone xxx

Because of my deteriorating health and my dire financial situation. It would be selfish in the extreme to take on any Pets when I am unlikely to be well enough to care for them or in a position to afford to provide for all their needs

:cry:

:( it's sometimes hard not to feel down when you see your precious bunnies ageing, in what seems to us, a blink of an eye. It's easy to loose sight of all you have done for those bunnies and how you have enriched their lives.
Gypsy's EC episode really shook me up and opened my eyes to the fact that she is no longer a young bun. She is 8 and my big Frenchie Storm is now 6 and a half. I sometimes almost make my self physically sick with the thought of loosing them. :(
It's so sad to think of any family member, which is what our bunnies are, not being around any more. :(
We have to try and live for today and make sure we are making our bunnies as happy as humanly possible. Make the most of the time we have with our precious bundles of fur.
Who knows what the future may bring. You say that these buns will be your last but you never know how fate will lend a hand.
((hugs))
Xxx

Because of my deteriorating health and my dire financial situation. It would be selfish in the extreme to take on any Pets when I am unlikely to be well enough to care for them or in a position to afford to provide for all their needs

:cry:

Jane if you are well enough to carry on caring for rabbits I'm sure there are rescues who would appreciate you as a fosterer where they pay all costs..maybe a special needs fosterer. Would be such a shame if someone who loves their animals as much as you do cannot find a way to keep at least one xx

I also understand how you feel. My dog is my world and she is ageing quickly. It's very upsetting to see a once fit and healthy animal develop arthritis, go deaf and grey. She is 12 next week. All I can say is appreciate every day with them, make every day count. :love:

I lost four beloved fur babies last year and I have three elderly cats (15, 14.5, 14.5) as well as Dylan, my Very Old Rabbit. I know that I will be experiencing more losses this year. I know that I will always keep cats and rabbits (although probably not as many as I have now) so long as my arthritis allows.

You are such a brilliant Bunny Carer, Jane, could you not long term foster a couple of bunnies - maybe buns who need special care? That way the vet bills would be covered and if your health did become so poor you were unable to look after them you would know they could be returned to rescue.

I lost four beloved fur babies last year and I have three elderly cats (15, 14.5, 14.5) as well as Dylan, my Very Old Rabbit. I know that I will be experiencing more losses this year. I know that I will always keep cats and rabbits (although probably not as many as I have now) so long as my arthritis allows.

You are such a brilliant Bunny Carer, Jane, could you not long term foster a couple of bunnies - maybe buns who need special care? That way the vet bills would be covered and if your health did become so poor you were unable to look after them you would know they could be returned to rescue.

Definitely think this is the future Jane. You know too much and have too much love to give not to look after those creatures that need it :love:

Jane if you are well enough to carry on caring for rabbits I'm sure there are rescues who would appreciate you as a fosterer where they pay all costs..maybe a special needs fosterer. Would be such a shame if someone who loves their animals as much as you do cannot find a way to keep at least one xx

This. I'm sure you'd be brilliant as a special-needs fosterer, sort of a sanctuary fosterer, maybe for buns who for whatever reason will not find a forever home and may only have a short time left, but deserve the attention, love and care that we know you'd give them.

And don't you have a few 3 year olds anyway? There's at least another 7 years in some of your babies.

xx

Big ((((((((hugs))))))))))) Jane. I know how you feel about having an older ill bunny. I must admit most of the time I kind of live in denial of him being old and ill even tho I'm doing his meds twice a day. Then when he has a fit all the fear and sadness comes back. xxxx

Back