• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hiding mouth

MichG

Mama Doe
My little foster bun was spayed on Thursday and is having real problems post op.
She took a long time coming round from the anaesthetic and the night after was still flat and not moving, at 9.30pm you could lay her on her side and she would make no effort to right herself. Since then she will not drink for herself and is only picking at hay, so I have been syringe feeding her, up until yesterday evening she was taking it all relatively ok, but all of a sudden she started scrapping at the vet bed and hiding her mouth and really fighting taking the syringe feeds. She seems pretty lively in herself, she does have other problems, possible epilepsy and she has cataracts but when I put her out in the run she hops around, and in inquisitive and "normal" bunny behaviour (minus eating and drinking) she has done some poops post op but they dont seem to come regularly.

This morning I had to give her sub cut fluids and her emeprid sub cut rather than oral (I have both at home) as she wouldn't let me anywhere near her mouth. Why could this be? She has been nibbling on hay so I wasn't sure it was dental pain.

ETA: I only had oral metacam but I managed to get that into her mouth with a struggle :?

Last edited:
Molar spurs can form within just a few days of not eating, did she have a full oral examination when under GA for her spay ?

I asked but not sure if it happened or not, they were more concerned about checking her cataracts out :? She is going to see the rabbit savvy vet tomorrow afternoon for bloods. I am going away over night tonight (mum is looking after buns) but she is going to stay at work for syringe feeds/fluids/meds so will get the teeth checked this afternoon and dental tomorrow if necessary :(

Back