• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Vaccine - When in March is it being released?

nessar

Warren Veteran
As title really :wave:

I thought Annabelle didnt need vaccs till march at the earliest, but looked at her card yesterday and she's actually overdue for her myxo by a couple of weeks, but her vhd isnt due till the end of march.

Obviously I need to check with my vet that they can get it in, but does anyone know exactly when the new one is being released, as march is only 4 days away.

My vet said it may be just after.
They said about another vaccine some time ago and thats not out yet, so its just a suck it and see scenario.xx

If a rabbit has had Myxo vaccination then it cannot have the dual vaccination, the dual vaccination will only be for bunnies who have never been vaccinated

Thank you both. I think I'll get her the normal myxo done on Monday then. She'll still have some protection left from her previous vaccine and she is at a very low risk atm but better safe than sorry!

Snowy, I thought the advice has now changed and that only applied to the european vaccine, not our nobivac one? I might have gotten confused reading so much different stuff on it.

Thank you both. I think I'll get her the normal myxo done on Monday then. She'll still have some protection left from her previous vaccine and she is at a very low risk atm but better safe than sorry!

Snowy, I thought the advice has now changed and that only applied to the european vaccine, not our nobivac one? I might have gotten confused reading so much different stuff on it.

My vet had a notification through yesterday saying that if they had had a vaccine before then thye couldn't have the dual one and that they wouldn't be doing away with the single vaccine for that very reason

Mind you, I suppose it could all change:lol:

My vet had a notification through yesterday saying that if they had had a vaccine before then thye couldn't have the dual one and that they wouldn't be doing away with the single vaccine for that very reason

Mind you, I suppose it could all change:lol:

How very odd as this totally contradicts what the MSD Vet emailed me last week :?

He asked me not to post a full copy of his email, but here is part of it:

''Yes the plan will be to withdraw it once the new vaccine is established. There are actually many good reasons to do so, but the most important is that the new vaccine should offer enhanced protection against myxomatosis both in terms of its ability to counter disease and in terms of its duration of immunity. Another good reason is that the switchover process to the new vaccine is potentially a complicating factor which we would be keen to keep to as short a period as possible as you will see below''

Do you have the date of the letter sent to your Vet Theo ? He (MSD Vet) emailed me on 21st February.

This new vaccine is proving to be contravertial before it is even launched :?

Last edited:

This is what we have been told also! :?

How very odd as this totally contradicts what the MSD Vet emailed me last week :?

He asked me not to post a full copy of his email, but here is part of it:

''Yes the plan will be to withdraw it once the new vaccine is established. There are actually many good reasons to do so, but the most important is that the new vaccine should offer enhanced protection against myxomatosis both in terms of its ability to counter disease and in terms of its duration of immunity. Another good reason is that the switchover process to the new vaccine is potentially a complicating factor which we would be keen to keep to as short a period as possible as you will see below''

Do you have the date of the letter sent to your Vet Theo ? He (MSD Vet) emailed me on 21st February.

This new vaccine is proving to be contravertial before it is even launched :?

No I don't have a date Jane but will ask, I agree that this is causing so much confusion before it comes out.

Jane, in the email that you have does it say that a bunny can't be given the dual vaccine if they have already had the single vaccine?

No I don't have a date Jane but will ask, I agree that this is causing so much confusion before it comes out.

Jane, in the email that you have does it say that a bunny can't be given the dual vaccine if they have already had the single vaccine?

No, not at all :?

They are running more trials to insure that Rabbits who have NEVER had a previous *VHD* Vaccine will have an adequate immune response to give protection against VHD. If they are unable to prove this 'beyond all reasonable doubt' they are likely to advise that Rabbits NEVER previously vaccinated *against VHD* have a second Combination Vaccine given 2 weeks after the first one. I am assuming this would be a one off necessity and after that the Rabbit would go on to only require an annual combination Vaccine.

'The question we need to solve in the work we are finishing right now is whether at the strength (titre) of vaccine we will end up releasing on the market one dose will be sufficient or whether we would only expect RHD (VHD) immunity after a second dose in the very specific subset of rabbits that have only ever been given Nobivac Myxo with no RHD vaccine. Since the strength we have in the final product is very close to the strength which worked well for both diseases after a single dose in all animals regardless of previous vaccination status our expectations are high. However before we can give definitive and final advice to vets on this issue we feel we need to prove this beyond all reasonable doubt with the actual product at the strenth it is released at. If we cant prove this for whatever reason we may have to issue a more complex guideline of two doses two weeks apart but only in this specific group of animals
'

Last edited:
I'm totally confused too :? . I think I might just continue with the old vaccines and only transfer to the new ones when I have to. I just don't know what to believe right now.

Mine are having their myxo week after next and I'm going to have a chat to Mark about it then. Hopefully by the time they need their VHD (sept) it'll all be straightened out.

wat i find wierd if you go abroard you can buy the vaccines over the counter and they cost £1.50 for a myxi (theres 10 in a vial so have to pay £15)
and VHD £1.00 (10 IN a vial again)

wat i find wierd if you go abroard you can buy the vaccines over the counter and they cost £1.50 for a myxi (theres 10 in a vial so have to pay £15)
and VHD £1.00 (10 IN a vial again)

.............. and if you bring them into the UK and administer them you are committing a crime

.............. and if you bring them into the UK and administer them you are committing a crime

Never said that i bring them into the UK did i but i know breeders out there that by them over the counter and vaccinate thier stock i have many friends abroad now so just find it wierd that they can do it but we cant?

they can do it in america, norway, sweaden ect why are we any different??

Last edited:
IF it turns out that rabbits who have previously been vaccinated with the single myxi vaccine wont be covered with the dual vaccine. wont that mean that rabbits picked up by rescues/ RSPCA etc will never be able to use it because there is no history and therefore a chance a single vaccine has been used at some point on the rabbit so wont be able to risk the new vaccine :?

IF it turns out that rabbits who have previously been vaccinated with the single myxi vaccine wont be covered with the dual vaccine. wont that mean that rabbits picked up by rescues/ RSPCA etc will never be able to use it because there is no history and therefore a chance a single vaccine has been used at some point on the rabbit so wont be able to risk the new vaccine :?

Yes, this was my thinking too. You could only vaccinate a bunny with the new combo that you are 100% sure that s/he has never had the single.

That said, I'm inclined to believe the letter Jane got purely because that came straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

It is not previous Myxo Vaccines that are the issue.

As I understand it and putting it in simplistic terms, not scientific ones. New Vaccine should trigger an Immune Response to Myxo in ALL Rabbits, regardless of previous vaccination history. It may *not* trigger a full Immune Response to VHD *in a Rabbit who has NEVER had a VHD Vaccine* A Rabbit who has had previous Myxo and VHD Vaccines *given at least 15 days apart* should have an Immune Response to both Myxo and VHD from the new Vaccine

A Rabbit with an unknown Vaccination history would therefore probably require a 2nd dose of the new vaccination 2 weeks after the first dose to insure a full Immune Response to VHD occurs.

If the ongoing testing proves beyond all reasonable doubt that a Rabbit who has never had a VHD vaccine WILL have a full Immune Response to the new vaccine, for both Myxo AND VHD, then there would be no need to give a second dose 2 weeks after the initial one.

I have no idea if I have explained that in a way that makes any sense !!

As I understand it and putting it in simplistic terms, not scientific ones. New Vaccine should trigger an Immune Response to Myxo in ALL Rabbits, regardless of previous vaccination history. It may *not* trigger a full Immune Response to VHD *in a Rabbit who has NEVER had a VHD Vaccine* A Rabbit who has had previous Myxo and VHD Vaccines *given at least 15 days apart* should have an Immune Response to both Myxo and VHD from the new Vaccine

A Rabbit with an unknown Vaccination history would therefore probably require a 2nd dose of the new vaccination 2 weeks after the first dose to insure a full Immune Response to VHD occurs.

If the ongoing testing proves beyond all reasonable doubt that a Rabbit who has never had a VHD vaccine WILL have a full Immune Response to the new vaccine, for both Myxo AND VHD, then there would be no need to give a second dose 2 weeks after the initial one.

That makes sense to me but clearly I had completely misunderstood everything that had gone on before but that wasn't my understanding :lol: :roll: My poor brain.

Yes this is my understanding too. My understanding of the logic is that if the rabbit has previously had a myxo vaccination but not a VHD, there is a risk that the existing antibodies to myxo in the rabbit will 'kill off' the vaccine before the rabbit has had an opportunity to recognise and develop an immune response to the VHD. But if the rabbit also has VHD antibodies from a previous vaccination, that will recognise the VHD portion of the vaccine and will develop a response alongside the myxo response.

Presumably the same isn't true the other way round (i.e. if a bun has previously had a VHD vacc but not a myxo) because the vaccine itself is myxo virus with a VHD protein attached, so an existing VHD response wouldn't 'kill off' the whole virus before the myxo response had been generated.

Or, I could just be talking out of my backside :lol:

This is how I understood it too. I was just picking up on Snowys' post as if that is the case then it will surely be an issue for rabbits with no or uncertain history :?

Back