• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scared- lump above eye

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Sky has a tiny lump just above his left eye. It's in thd skin and is about 2mm in diameter. It's not a whisker and he doesn't have one on thd other side. I guess it's in the middle of his eyelid.

Obviously I'm over catastrophising that he has Myxo but it doesn't look like any Myxo I saw last year.

It doesn't seem to hurt him.

Any ideas?

Ruby had something similar under the skin on her eye, but it on the lower lid. It was a small abscess in the end, and she had some drops and baytril (I think!) and it disappeared.
I'm sure it's not Myxo, as you'd recognise it, and I hope it's nothing serious. xxx

If you lift the eyelid can you see a yellow dot in the conjunctiva that corresponds with the lump you can see on his outer eyelid ?

Thanks guys. I panic more about him than the others.

Yes it's a tiny lump. It was hidden by fur so may not even be new.

Jane, no. There doesn't appear to be anything like that. His eye looks a bit bloodshot today. It did yesterday too but I thought that was just to the large amounts of fur I was pulling out of it. What would it mean if there was a yellow dot there.

Today it doesn't seem so round (more sort of pointed in one place) and he seems to like it being touched less. Makes me think maybe a 'head' could be appearing on it? Could an ingrown hair or something cause this?

Will i violist be off to the vets tomorrow.

Thanks guys. I panic more about him than the others.

Yes it's a tiny lump. It was hidden by fur so may not even be new.

Jane, no. There doesn't appear to be anything like that. His eye looks a bit bloodshot today. It did yesterday too but I thought that was just to the large amounts of fur I was pulling out of it. What would it mean if there was a yellow dot there.

Today it doesn't seem so round (more sort of pointed in one place) and he seems to like it being touched less. Makes me think maybe a 'head' could be appearing on it? Could an ingrown hair or something cause this?

Will i violist be off to the vets tomorrow.

It may well be a minor infection in a whisker follicle. If you gently hold a warm sterile compress on it for a few mins a few times a day it may encourage it to burst and once that happens it should heal up OK.

Brilliant. Thanks. I'll do some of that today. He loves me fussing round his head in anyway so hell quite like that. Thanks Jane.

Hope all goes well at the vets for Sky.
I would probably be thinking along the lines of a cyst/absess.
You are very knolageble (sp) and I think you would KNOW if it were myxo. ;)

Back