• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Saw kids entertainer with live rabbit today :( :( :( U/d REPORTED

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
It was awful :cry: I went to a friend's son's 3rd birthday party, and when I got there, she excitedly told me (knowing I love bunnies) that the entertainer had a live rabbit. When she saw my face she said 'oh, maybe you won't like that then...' :(

Before he started his act, I went to talk to him. I said 'I believe you use a live rabbit, is he in there?' pointing to a painted box resembling a hutch with it's back to everybody. He said yes that's right. When I expressed concern he took me over to have a look, obviously thinking I would change my mind when I saw it. It was even worse than I imagined :(
I had thought the bunny would at least be able to hop about the hutch type box. Oh no. The poor, poor bunny was sat in a shoebox that exactly fit it's body. It had no way of moving in any direction or lying down. Because the box didn't have a lid, the guy said it was fine. He said if it wanted to jump out, it would do! I said it was probably terrified with all the noise. Oh no, he said, it's been trained from when it was born, it's used to loud noises. He said even when it isn't 'working', the rabbit (simba) doesn't move about much anyway, even when in the garden etc. I couldn't believe what I was seeing/hearing :cry:
He then said he'd been checked out by the RSPCA and been approved :shock: and that he is good friends with Kay at bunnyhops!!! I'm going to ring her tomorrow to see what she thinks!
Simba had to sit in that shoebox for nearly three hours :cry:. After his job was done he was put in his 'carry box' which was like a plastic treasure chest, not very big, with no way of seeing out at all. I asked if he had hay and water, and was told that he did, but I didn't believe him. A bowl of water wouldn't have fit in the box, and there was no way of attaching a bottle :(. So, taking into account travelling time, samba would have been without hay and water for over 5 hours :cry:
Surely this cannot be approved by the RSPCA?! Would you complain to them or to the RWA? I can't sit back and forget about it, that's no life for a bunny :(
I asked what he lives in at home, and he said he has a hutch in the house. When asked if he was shut in or if he could come and go freely, he said he can come and go. Again, I didn't believe him. I can't stop thinking about poor Simba. He actually looked healthy and well cared for, apart from being mega depressed :cry:

Last edited:
Oh no, how awful. :( There's been a similar thread earlier tonight. I wonder if these people put on a half-decent show for the RSPCA and then go back to not caring for the rabbit properly?

Oh no, how awful. :( There's been a similar thread earlier tonight. I wonder if these people put on a half-decent show for the RSPCA and then go back to not caring for the rabbit properly?

Hi Susie :wave: I've just seen the other thread :( obviously this a common occurrence :cry: yes I suspect you are right, I thought that myself. But I will be informing them of my concerns :(

I have just seen your reply on my thread, it is really shocking. I wish it was banned to use live animals for entertainment like this. They guy I saw also used doves kept in a tiny cage and they had their wings clipped so couldn't fly. :(

It really should be stopped. The animal's welfare is most important of course, but there is really no need for it in this day and age when there are so many ways of spending money on amusing a group of children. :?

Good luck with pursuing this case. :wave:

It really should be stopped. The animal's welfare is most important of course, but there is really no need for it in this day and age when there are so many ways of spending money on amusing a group of children. :?

Good luck with pursuing this case. :wave:

Exactly. I even said something similar to the entertainer. He was very good at what he did, the children were riveted, the rabbit was only involved for 10 minutes out of his 90 minute act. I asked if he ever did shows without the rabbit, and he said he's been doing it so long, he can't really be bothered anymore, and the day he changes his act is the day he stops doing it.

Back