• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Magicians and rabbits - bit upset

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Where did the idea of magicians and rabbits come from?? I remember watching a program with some one who 'magic'd up' a rabbit and although the rabbit didn't look very happy the guy at least held him correctly, and held him against his body. Saw one at a childrens party today and the rabbit was a big rabbit, white with blue eyes. He held bunny with one hand under it's front legs, whilst he held other things in his other hand poor bunny was just being held with one hand under her front legs. I believe I've read if the rabbit kicks whilst it's behind isn't supported it can do some serious damage. Bunny was very wide eyed and with third eyelid showing. :( The music was very loud and lots of children shouting and the man took bunny round so the children could all stroke her. The show went on for a long time and was very noisy, meanwhile the rabbit was in a cage the same size as her, couldn't move around and even had to crouch, couldn't stretch or anything. Afterwards he took her and the doves he had away. My phone rang so I went outside and the guys car was outside, with bunny in the tiny cage, no water, no food and no hay for the full day as he was there the full day. :cry: Bun also had yellowy stains on her feet/tummy, I presume from sitting in a small cage and her own wee. :( I always get told to 'Oh lighten up' when I see rabbits like this is shows/zoo's, can't help but feel really sorry for them.

It is absolutely outrageous that this sort of cruelty is allowed to happen. :evil: You are quite right to be upset. :cry: You are correct about the damage a rabbit can do if he or she kicked out while being held like this - a broken back could be the result. It's also upsetting that so many people don't see anything, or much, wrong with seeing a rabbit treated in this way.

You don't need to lighten up, other people need to realise what a serious issue cruelty is and think about how they'd like being treated like that :censored:

I'd seriously consider phoning the RSPCA about that guy as leaving a rabbit without food or water for an entire day definitely makes it a welfare issue.

You don't need to lighten up, other people need to realise what a serious issue cruelty is and think about how they'd like being treated like that :censored:

I'd seriously consider phoning the RSPCA about that guy as leaving a rabbit without food or water for an entire day definitely makes it a welfare issue.

This.

And the guy would have got an earful from me. :censored:

Thankyou for your responses. Totally agree with all you've said. Surely it was clear the rabbit was not happy, even to those who know nothing about rabbit behaviour. The guy did seem nice, maybe he is just unknowledgeable, not cruel but then again you can't tell, I didn't like the way he so casually handled the rabbit, like a possesion. :( I could try the RSPCA, would they be able to do anything? I know they've had calls about the neglect and mis treating of a dog down our street not just from us and they said they couldn't do anything as the dog has shelter and was getting food and water.

ETA: I was stood out of the way at the back but as the guy passed with bunny I said to my sister 'Poor thing looks terrified, and being held like it' a little too loudly and frowned at him but he didn't seem to register me.

Last edited:
I too would have been very upset Liz :cry: and angry :evil:

I appreciate that your age may be an issue but I would suggest making a formal complaint. You would need to be careful to state exactly what you saw and bring your personal opinions into the complaint. I think a written complaint would be better than one over the phone. That way you can think carefully about what to say and you will also have a record of it. You can remain anonymous if you wanted to but you would obviously need to give the details of the person you are complaining about.

In addition - you could obtain details of the magician and send some information to him in the post. That way he can't use ignorance as an excuse for how the rabbit is kept and handled.

Poor bunny :(

I too would have been very upset Liz :cry: and angry :evil:

I appreciate that your age may be an issue but I would suggest making a formal complaint. You would need to be careful to state exactly what you saw and bring your personal opinions into the complaint. I think a written complaint would be better than one over the phone. That way you can think carefully about what to say and you will also have a record of it. You can remain anonymous if you wanted to but you would obviously need to give the details of the person you are complaining about.

Poor bunny :(

Thankyou, would I send the complaint to the RSPCA? I do find my age an issue *sighs* but there's no harm in sending a complaint, hopefully something may even come out of it.

Thankyou, would I send the complaint to the RSPCA? I do find my age an issue *sighs* but there's no harm in sending a complaint, hopefully something may even come out of it.

I think so yes. Your age shouldn't be a factor when complaining and you certainly don't need to disclose this. At least this way you will feel you have done something and as you say, something good may come of it :)

The rabbit doesn't have food or shelter. And doesn't have water.
Also space is an issue. Rabbits need sufficient space to move around, they need hay, water and shelter. AT LEAST.

You have a very valid complaint. They guy, if he is still going to use the rabbit, must have suitable accommodation for it for the day.

Say in your complaint that the rabbit had no space, no shelter, not food/hay and no water. Say as a side point that it was scared by the loud music and children, but focus on the necessities.

Please let me know how you get on. They will want to speak to him about the conditions and see for themselves so ask the RSPCA to keep you updated on what happens. Most likely they will ask him to make changes and check back later on so it could take a while.

The rabbit doesn't have food or shelter. And doesn't have water.
Also space is an issue. Rabbits need sufficient space to move around, they need hay, water and shelter. AT LEAST.

You have a very valid complaint. They guy, if he is still going to use the rabbit, must have suitable accommodation for it for the day.

Say in your complaint that the rabbit had no space, no shelter, not food/hay and no water. Say as a side point that it was scared by the loud music and children, but focus on the necessities.

Please let me know how you get on. They will want to speak to him about the conditions and see for themselves so ask the RSPCA to keep you updated on what happens. Most likely they will ask him to make changes and check back later on so it could take a while.

Thankyou, I will send a complaint tomorrow and I will update once I have sent it and any replies that I receive.

I have just posted a thread myself on exactly this topic, I've only just seen yours. It was obviously a different guy as we weren't at the same place, but it sounds very similar, apart from the one I saw handled the rabbit properly. That was the only good point about it. I was furious at the conditions the poor rabbit was kept under and complained to him myself. I shall be making official complaints aswell. :(

I showed a magician my BB and Lily in pics.He asked if he could mate BB with his girl!!
I said he had been neutered and he wasnt too happy..asked why....and complained Id ruined a good rabbit and his life....

I showed a magician my BB and Lily in pics.He asked if he could mate BB with his girl!!
I said he had been neutered and he wasnt too happy..asked why....and complained Id ruined a good rabbit and his life....

It's lucky we know that's ridiculous :roll: I get that with Boris, because he's kind of rare.

I have emailed a complaint to the RSPCA.

Back