• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Low sided litter trays...

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
What couold I use as a low sided litter tray?

Oscar and Sea used to be house bunnies, and were really clean, but since moving into a shed they are doing it everywhere.

The only reason I can think of is that Oscars dodgy back legs make it difficult for him to hop the 2.5" over the lip of a standard tray, so he's not bothering.

Any suggestions for what I could use?

Last edited:
I use potting trays too. They are perfect for my old bun Darcy who has osteo-arthritis in his hips and spondylosis in the spine. They a low in front and the back is high.

You could use a coping saw to make a big dip in one side of an existing litter tray. If you use a file to smooth the edge you cut and then a bit of duct tape to stop the edge being sharp.

I use a dog bed - it's quite high at the back and low at the front - and big enough for all 3 to get in together. It was only about £9 from Home Bargains.

Garden centres have so much choice on trays with all different sizes, I use the really long potting trays with low sides in my 6ft hutches when I have guinea pigs in to help keep the hutch lasting longer since they can't be litter trained! It contains the bedding as well so easier cleaning.

My giants have one of those potting trays mentioned with the high back and low front and it does the job perfectly!

I look like a real gardening enthusiast when I go to the till with all my trays of varying sizes and then get strange looks when I delve in to the free cardboard box area at the door and go off with lots of free boxes for the furry mob to chew and explore in:lol: worth a trip everytime!

We use potting trays and they are ideal, plenty of room for 2 bunnies to sit side by side, ideal for old and disabled bunnies and can be cheaper than proper litter trays. We have used them for years and very rarely buy bunny litter trays now.

As modelled by Henry

20-2-12014.jpg

and Lucy Rose

LucyRoseSat006.jpg

Back