• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harvey isn't eating. U/D 29/2 Page 11

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
I haven't even had chance to introduce him to you all yet!

Harvey and Hermione are staying with me from Greenleaf Rescue (AKA FLopsy and Hermy).

This morning Harvey was all bunched up in a corner and not eating. He didn't even look twice at his breakfast and by 11 still hadn't eaten. So, with the vets closing at 12, I took him up for a check up.

He was really stressed about it all :( so the vet couldn't be 100% sure, but did saw his tummy was gassy.

He gave 1ml vetergesic amps, 2ml metoclopramide and baytril all injections there and gave me baytril , fibreplex and recovery food for home if I should need it. And also booked him back in Monday for another check over.

H+H live in the shed, with a hutch which is always open. I have closed Harvey in the hutch and left Hermione in the shed so I can keep an eye on his poo's and eating. Is that right? The front of the hutch is all mesh so they can see each other.

Harvey has eaten a couple of dandelion leaves but not all what I gave him and he was very lethargic when eating them - like he really couldn't be bothered.

He's sitting now, against the wall. Not sure what to do. Should I leave him a while longer?

He's so timid and I don't want to stress him and make things worse.

Last edited:
Vetergsic is an opiate analgesic so that is likely to make him very drowsy. Has he poo'd yet ?

Keeping him well hydrated is very important. Did the Vet administer any subcutaneous fluids ?

No that's all the vet gave him. I have water near him in the hutch but he's literally just sitting there - think he might be sleeping.

Ok, well I'll give him an hour or so, then try and tempt him with something tasty.

Hermione is just running round like crazy :roll: no sympathy that girl!

She does keep trying to get into him though :(

Thanks Jane.

Hi and sorry to hear your boy isnt well. :(

I have just got a timid bun through gut stasis so know well how worrying it can be. I had to syringe feed her as well offering her some of her favourite treats like dandlion leaves. I know that it is stressful but i would try and ensure he is eatting enough. Else his stomach wont get going again. I only had to syringe feed for 24hrs then she was back to eating. As for seporating them i didnt do that but i was able to bring them into the house and monitor them closely.
I Hope this helps and your bun picks up soon.

Oh one other thing you can try if you dont want to syringe feed is try making the pellets mushy by adding boiled [cooled] water.

I would leave him be for a little while to get over the stress of the vets and whatnot. Your doing the right thing for now but I'd keep an eye on his water intake. Does he have a bowl of water rather than a bottle? Have you tried some soaked pellets? He may like to eat that as it won't take too much effort and will also get some fluids into him. With him being outside in a shed I would check on him every 10 mins or so to make sure he doesn't deteriorate.

It doesn't look like the vet gave him any pain relief? If he's in pain he will be less likely to eat so it is rather important that he has pain killers. I'm not sure what the Vetergesic does, however, so correct me if that is in fact a pain killer!

I hope he picks up soon!

I would leave him be for a little while to get over the stress of the vets and whatnot. Your doing the right thing for now but I'd keep an eye on his water intake. Does he have a bowl of water rather than a bottle? Have you tried some soaked pellets? He may like to eat that as it won't take too much effort and will also get some fluids into him. With him being outside in a shed I would check on him every 10 mins or so to make sure he doesn't deteriorate.

It doesn't look like the vet gave him any pain relief? If he's in pain he will be less likely to eat so it is rather important that he has pain killers. I'm not sure what the Vetergesic does, however, so correct me if that is in fact a pain killer!
I hope he picks up soon!

It's a very strong painkiller. Esme was on it when she came home during her stasis episode, and she was very unresponsive. I really don't like seeing bunnies on it but sometimes it has to be used initially to control the pain.

I think Vetegesic is a pain relief. Jane said it will make him drowsey though so that's why I'm letting him sleep for now.

I keep popping out and looking through the shed window at them (don't want to keep banging around in there, sure that's the last thing he would want, especially as they have only been with me a week and are still getting used to me).

I might do that with some pellets. He is on Wagg pellets so they are pretty small anyway.

I think Vetegesic is a pain relief. Jane said it will make him drowsey though so that's why I'm letting him sleep for now.

I keep popping out and looking through the shed window at them (don't want to keep banging around in there, sure that's the last thing he would want, especially as they have only been with me a week and are still getting used to me).

I might do that with some pellets. He is on Wagg pellets so they are pretty small anyway.

Hi Samantha,

Thankyou for taking Harvey to the vets today.

Sorry to hear he is struggling at the moment. If you need to take him back at any point I've setup an account for us now so it can be billed directly to us. If you just ask to put it on Greenleaf Animal Rescue account. I'll also refund you what you paid out today for him via paypal if this is easiest for you.

Hope he starts to feel better soon :) Lots of vibes!

Hi Samantha,

Thankyou for taking Harvey to the vets today.

Sorry to hear he is struggling at the moment. If you need to take him back at any point I've setup an account for us now so it can be billed directly to us. If you just ask to put it on Greenleaf Animal Rescue account. I'll also refund you what you paid out today for him via paypal if this is easiest for you.

Hope he starts to feel better soon :) Lots of vibes!

Thank you Jane. I was going to call you before I went but had to hurry before they closed and your number is in my emails somewhere - need to put it into my phone!

Thank you Jane. I was going to call you before I went but had to hurry before they closed and your number is in my emails somewhere - need to put it into my phone!

No Problem- thanks for not waiting sounds like he required immediate veterinary attention.
An accounts setup now which should make things easier :)

He just ate another dandelion leaf - when I put it to him. Ignoring all the carrots, pellets, herbs and hay I'm offering though.

Will take another dandelion leaf in a minute and dip it in water first. Try and get some water in him

My bunny was suffering from gut stasis last week when they came home from the vets I bought a big cage as the vet asked me to keep them both Husbun aswell inside for a few days to make sure she was eating I also had to syringe feed her , I would try and keep them both together and if possible bring them indoors so you can monitor ya bunny through the night hope he/she gets better soon 

My bunny was suffering from gut stasis last week when they came home from the vets I bought a big cage as the vet asked me to keep them both Husbun aswell inside for a few days to make sure she was eating I also had to syringe feed her , I would try and keep them both together and if possible bring them indoors so you can monitor ya bunny through the night hope he/she gets better soon 

I know - I'm a little worried if he doesn't start eating before tonight. I can't bring them in because I have house rabbits (who are already upset at the smell of the new fosters on my clothes - jealous little things) but also, it's still pretty nippy outside and I don't want them to get used to the temperature indoors.

I had mine in the spare bedroom with the heating turned off if ya bunny isn't eating you might need to syringe feed through the night to make sure he's getting something inside him specially fluids you won't be able to keep going outside all night I mushed some of her pellets up with warm water and syringe fed her every 2/3 hrs I even set my alarm clock to feed her and when the not well there temp falls and they can't regulate it sending loads a get well vibes for ya bunny get well soon Harvey 

Just gave him his baytril and fibreplex.

He wasn't happy about it. But when I put him back, he jus went and sat in the same spot. Not eating still - Not pooed either.

Really not sure what to do guys. Should I give him the recovery food? He really hated having the baytril and fibreplex. I don't want to stress him more than necessary and make things worse.

He's not even nose twitching so I guess he's gone back to sleep straight away. But I can't imagine him sleeping so readily around me.

Sorry he is so unwell. :( Dipping the dandelion in water is a good move as it will get a little liquid into him with less stress. Have you tried syringing just plain water - apparently baytril tastes vile so it might be that rather than the syringe he disliked.

Sending eaps of vibes. xx

Hiya.My bunny is going through something similar at the moment.His partner is licking him & cuddling.I firmly believe in the psyche & believe that love & devotion is a key part in getting animals better aswell as the obvious medicinal side of things,so please put him & his partner back together.She could help him through this.:)

Just gave him his baytril and fibreplex.

He wasn't happy about it. But when I put him back, he jus went and sat in the same spot. Not eating still - Not pooed either.

Really not sure what to do guys. Should I give him the recovery food? He really hated having the baytril and fibreplex. I don't want to stress him more than necessary and make things worse.

He's not even nose twitching so I guess he's gone back to sleep straight away. But I can't imagine him sleeping so readily around me.

As you found him unwell first time you saw him (ie he may not have eaten for a significant amount of time during the night), and given how long it is since he had the painkiller and still isn't eating of any significance on his own, I'd say he needs syringe feeding any time soon. It's a really hard call between food in stomach v stress levels but it's definitely getting to the stage where the need for food in his stomach is the stronger priority.

Back