• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Air travel

Troocs'n'Auds

Young Bun
My husband and I are currently based in Glasgow, but are thinking about a move abroad, probably mainland Europe. Obviously we want to take our two bunnies with us, and I've investigated animal passports and quarantine etc. What I'm worried about though, is the affect of travel on them, specifically air-travel. Do you think it would be necessary to sedate them so that they are less stressed? Also, does anyone know how the changes in air pressure would affect their ears? I always have to have ear-plugs in personally, and I can only imagine that rabbits would experience worse what with their much larger ears.

If easier on them, we would absolutely take alternative travel, ferry/train etc.

Advice much appreciated!

Personally I would not even think about transporting any of my Rabbits by air, but I know people who have. Someone who used to post on here flew hers to the USA.

My husband and I are currently based in Glasgow, but are thinking about a move abroad, probably mainland Europe. Obviously we want to take our two bunnies with us, and I've investigated animal passports and quarantine etc. What I'm worried about though, is the affect of travel on them, specifically air-travel. Do you think it would be necessary to sedate them so that they are less stressed? Also, does anyone know how the changes in air pressure would affect their ears? I always have to have ear-plugs in personally, and I can only imagine that rabbits would experience worse what with their much larger ears.

If easier on them, we would absolutely take alternative travel, ferry/train etc.

Advice much appreciated!

There is no need for quarantine in the EU, but I believe the rabbits must have a vet check before and after the flight, and special carriers (certain size, fly mesh over any holes incase they bite anyone). Some women from Sweden fly their jumping rabbits over every january and they're so relaxed after the flights even though not sedated, but these rabbits are used to travelling around and doing displays and things. Yours might benefit from some regular car journeys and area changes (and getting used to noise) before the flight

A friend of my rabbit on facebook (I know!) flew with her bunny Bubu. She took him as had luggage in a pet carrier and he was ok. That was in internal flight in spain, so not very long.

Back