• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange Wound on Orla (pics included)

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
For those of you who remember, Orla had a dislocated fore leg which was slowly getting better but now she is limping a little again and upon examination I found a new wound above her leg. She had a wound there before which looked very much like she has been biting herself out of pain or frustration. This new wound looks different and there is some green/yellow discolouration and looks to be very deep though it is not weeping or bleeding. She did have an x ray which showed nothing suspicious but maybe a scan would be more prudent.

As usual Orla seems fine otherwise and is eating and playing. Now I am wondering is she biting herself or is it something more serious like a tumour or abscess. Is amputation the way forward or am I on the wrong track.

If anyone can help identify the wound I'd be very grateful. She is due a check up on Wednesday but I'm wondering if I should bring that forward now :?

Orlawound2.jpg

Orlawound1.jpg

It looks like one or two puncture wounds. :?
I hope you can get to the bottom of it for her. :(

It looks like one or two puncture wounds. :?
I hope you can get to the bottom of it for her. :(

Do you think that could be her teeth?

To me it makes sense that she is biting herself as she can just reach that part of her body with her mouth and if her leg is sore then she could be biting in frustration as I have known other rabbits to do. However she is biting pretty deep :(

Ouch, that looks sore :( I personally would take her to the vet as soon as possible, but then I am a worrier.

On an un-related note, I have a dog called Orla, such a beautiful name. I hope she feels a lot better soon, sending her love.

Can you post another photo to show more clearly *where* the wound is.

What joint was dislocated ?

It was her wrist joint that was dislocated so this wound is much higher up.

Here is another picture of Orla to show better where the wound is.

Orlina.jpg

Does her elbow joint feel swollen/abnormally warm ?

Did she have Xrays ?

It does not feel swollen but it is warm, I would not say in a feverish sense though. She is warm on her other side too. There is no swelling but the skin around the edge if the wound feels a little raise but I'm not sure if that is because the wound dips inwards as though flesh has been gouged.

She had x rays in early February which showed the entire leg and there was no sign of breakage, fracture. There was some fluid around the wrist joint which was drained and deemed to be some kind of lymph rather than an infection. Nothing else came up though and she had an x ray post draining and her leg looked perfect. I saw the x rays myself and there was nothing, just a good healthy looking if thin bone.

It does not feel swollen but it is warm, I would not say in a feverish sense though. She is warm on her other side too. There is no swelling but the skin around the edge if the wound feels a little raise but I'm not sure if that is because the wound dips inwards as though flesh has been gouged.

She had x rays in early February which showed the entire leg and there was no sign of breakage, fracture. There was some fluid around the wrist joint which was drained and deemed to be some kind of lymph rather than an infection. Nothing else came up though and she had an x ray post draining and her leg looked perfect. I saw the x rays myself and there was nothing, just a good healthy looking if thin bone.

I would try to get her seen on Monday. Is she still on Metacam ?

I would try to get her seen on Monday. Is she still on Metacam ?

She finished her course last Wednesday and seemed fine until this morning.

Do you have any idea of what is going on? Would she need an amputation do you think?

I'll definitely get her appointment brought forward.

Thanks for the link, its very helpful. I'll definitely ask the vet about that. He is not keen on prescribing abx to rabbits but it may help. I'd be worried about side effects though.

I'd be more worried about not addressing a bacterial infection (if that is what it is)

Good luck at the Vets.

I hope the very on Monday can help, it looks pretty sore wee sou:(l.

It is sore, she flinched when I touched it ever so gently but I am now certain its self inflicted which is almost worse because it indicates some sort of severe internal pain. She is a brave wee girl though :love:

Does she live with another bunny? I wouldn't say she is biting herself unless you see her doing it. It looks like an injury or bite wound, which has gotten infected but if she lives on her own I can see why you think she may be doing it to herself. I think she should be ok as long as she gets some antibiotics or wash for it :) I wouldn't be thinking about amputation!

Sometimes animals will bit at themselves when they have an internal pain so it could be self inflicted.
I'm wondering if there was muscle damage when the wrist was dislocated? Her biting at it could have caused the infection or it could be internal.

Does she live with another bunny? I wouldn't say she is biting herself unless you see her doing it. It looks like an injury or bite wound, which has gotten infected but if she lives on her own I can see why you think she may be doing it to herself. I think she should be ok as long as she gets some antibiotics or wash for it :) I wouldn't be thinking about amputation!

She does live another bunny who likes to bite hoomins but I have seen her do and its always in the same place. If they were fighting I would expect to find wounds in various places such as the ears and face. I did try and put a dressing on it but she pulled it off :roll: Because she has had other problems with that leg I did think it could have been something more serious such as a tumour which might merit amputation.

Either way abx should sort the wound but there has to be something underlying to cause her to mutilate herself and that worries me more. We just have to keep trying all the solutions and keep her pain free. Its just such a worry and I feel so useless :?

Yes I would think that if it was fighting there would be other wounds and if you've seen her do it so that seems to be conclusive! Might be worth getting another xray or scan done on it? Like Jenova said, it could be muscle related or even nerve or tendon damage from dislocating her wrist?

Back