• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dexter is poorly again

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
His lungs are rattling badly again :cry: He was back for a check up this morning and his heart is beating all over the place. he is on liquid frusemide now as we could not get tablets down him any more, he was wise to everything!

he is going back again Monday for another check up but I am not sure what the next suggestion will be. This has been going on, on and off for around 6 months now :(

Is the pulmonary oedema secondary to a heart condition ? If so what heart meds is he on ?

We don't know exactly whats going on really. The first time it happened x-rays showed fluid on his lungs but his heart looked normal despite an irregular heart beat, so couldn't rule out heart problems or pneumonia. We treated with frusemide and antibiotics and he made a great recovery. The next time it happened his heart sounded normal just fluid and sneezing so we thought that it was a chronic pneumonia all along and treated accordingly and the heart thing last time was coincidental maybe caused by stress.:?

But today both the irregular heart beat and the fluid is back so we are giving him the frusemide to make him more comfortable over the weekend and we will see where we are when he goes back in first thing Monday.

During the whole thing dexter has never been ill in himself, he is strong as an ox and eating well :)

Unfortunately it is starting to look that way with this episode :(

Obviously we didn't want to jump the gun and start pumping him full of heart drugs when diagnostics weren't conclusive and he was responding so well to the antibiotics each time. But now we are going to have to start considering a heart problem again :( Besides his rattly chest he is the picture of health :love:

Dexter had a check upi today and the vet couldn't believe it was the same rabbit. Chest is clear and heart beating normally again :D :?

He is staying on the frusemide a while longer and then see what happens when it stops, but at the moment we can find no real cause for the fluid in his lungs :?

It's good news that he is srong and well in himself despite this worrying condition. :D

For supposedly fragile creatures, bunnies can be astonishingly tough at times. :love:

It's good news that he is srong and well in himself despite this worrying condition. :D

For supposedly fragile creatures, bunnies can be astonishingly tough at times. :love:

Fragile is certainly not a word I would use to describe Dexter! But then I have never thought of any of our rabbits as fragile creatures, I think they are the most amazing, determined little things and wish i had the strength and determination they had :love:

Fragile is certainly not a word I would use to describe Dexter! But then I have never thought of any of our rabbits as fragile creatures, I think they are the most amazing, determined little things.:love:

They certainly are! :thumb: I was thinking more generally of how stasis can make a rabbit go downhill so quickly, whereas a day of not eating wouldn't do animals with less complex digestive sustems much harm.

They certainly are! :thumb: I was thinking more generally of how stasis can make a rabbit go downhill so quickly, whereas a day of not eating wouldn't do animals with less complex digestive sustems much harm.

Very true, although that is something (touch wood) we have never had to worry about with Dexter! On the flip side it is amazing how bunnies continue to eat when they must have the most horrific dental pain that would stop us or another animal eating with half the amount of pain :D

Hello Hugo's There,

I am new to the forum and just read your thread. I have a rabbit that has very similiar symptoms to Dexter. She started coughing last January and due to teeth root problems was on depocillin and vet hoped it would work on the cough as well. She was admitted in March with breathing difficulties, was put on oxygen and had heart scan and x-ray's nothing showed up, vet said it was possibly a lung abscess, and we began nebulising.

The coughing and sneezing continued but she was coping well and then at the end of April started to rattle it didn't cause her any problem and she was running around and eating as normal. She carried on with the sneezing, coughing and rattle until the end of July when we tried Septrin which cleared it until December when the sneezing and coughing and rattle returned, she had congested lungs and Septrin was prescribed again.

Unfortunately she is also a dental bunny and had a dental at the end of January but had laboured breathing and buldging eyes after. She was put on Frusol and another heart scan was booked which showed up clear. The coughing and sneezing has continued, and last Saturday the rattle returned, she was put on Baytril and is still on Frusol, the rattle stopped Sunday afternoon, but no doubt it will return.

Tomorrow once again she has to have a dental and just hoping she pulls through. I wish your Dexter well and will look with interest to any updates.

Back