• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescuing from a rescue

Bea & Floss

Mama Doe
Have you ever felt you need to do this? I mean have you been to a rescue and felt things are just not right? I know rescues can be so overwhelmed but should top priorities be volume of animals helped or quality of care given? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Sadly yup! My first ever foster bunny was rescued from a 'rescue'. I spent some time trying to help improve things (e.g. I put the buns on rr and said that they would benefit from neutering and large accommodation) but it became clear after a while that nothing was going to change and I was just helping her to recycle at a faster rate rather than reduce numbers so they could all have proper care. In the end the rspca took them all away...

It's a really difficult situation, especially when they know what they should be doing but don't do it, and judge themselves according to their intentions rather than their actions...while at the same time judging those they rescue from by their actions!

Yes. Having had a lecture about grooming and caring for a long haired bun I got her home and what a state she was in. Very thin, her back end was covered in her own mess and it took hours to carefully trim the massive matted layer of undercoat from her.:cry:

The place I went to didn't ask hardly any questions about me, and offered no advice about caring for a long haired breed, no mention of the care involved,grooming ect :? The animal in questions coat was not in a great shape. It worries me If longhaired animals are sent to homes without care advice given they are going to suffer :(

Yep I have and have wanted to on quite a few occasions :( It's really sad, I am now really reluctant to get involved with a local rescue because I know it will just be frustrating and too hard to make them see what they are doing isn't right :s

Sadly there are so many rescues, particulary with rabbits, that make you want to re-rescue the residents:(

I have rescued from a rescue (none of my current crew), and have two rescues within a few miles of me (one of which has over £1m in its charity assets account) that has terrible rabbit accommodation:(

Wow that is more yesses than I was hoping for :?

it is sad, we all make some mistakes as we go along and we all have to be willing to learn and take advice.
But with the smaller animals it is too easy for someone to see a rescue get praise for helping in a particular case and think "oh I could do that " ..some do go in for th "glory" which is silly as although the support you get is great and helps you to keep going, it doesn't pay vet bills or syringe feed 3 sick bunnies at 2 in the morning
Others are lovely people who genuinely want to help but haven't thought it through
on Fb a couple of weeks back a girl put up a post asking for money to help neuter a rabbit in her rescue. She said she had 3 but couldn't home them until, they were neutered ( great), but had no money to do it.
When questioned she had recently decided to be a rescue..set up a page..advertised herself and taken in the 3 rabbits..no money and no idea what she was doing ..it was a disaster waiting to happen :( She means well but just hadn't stopped to actually find out what being a rescue means:(

Yes two of our first bunnies came from an an awful place. One of them was covered in fleas - some embedded in his skin, he was apparently blind (though we saw no evidence of this after he cam to live with us) and so kept in a pet carrier :(

It's like anything, their are always good and bad ones.

Agreed. Just calling yourself a 'Rescue' guarantees nothing. Anyone can start a Rescue, there are no supervisory bodies or legislation that controls it.
Some people think it is possible to make money from it !! :lol:

Agreed. Just calling yourself a 'Rescue' guarantees nothing. Anyone can start a Rescue, there are no supervisory bodies or legislation that controls it.
Some people think it is possible to make money from it !! :lol:

There is someone on my FB who has a friend who rescues rabbits and breeds (crossbreeds!) aswell - work that one out :roll:

Back