• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question regarding genetics..........

babycakeuk

New Kit
Hi there, just a quick question........

If a Blue Otter mini lop carrying self and a seal point carrying butterfly, sealpoint & sussex cream were to mate, what colours would they produce???? I'm not breeding, just helping a friend out with something she was asked......

Thanks

Emily

I don't know much about genetics, but all otters carry selfs. So potentially a blue otter, black otter, blue self and black self.

The seal point 'carrying' butterfly? As far as I know, the butterfly bit is only relevant if the butterfly is showing in that parent, otherwise it's irrelevant. If it is showing in the parent, but only one parent, then there is a 50-50 chance of any offspring being a butterfly, and that can go with any other marking.

I don't know enough about Seal point to know what that will produce. I guess it depends, as well, on what type of seal point (i.e. black, blue, lilac or chocolate, or something else).

For yoru interests sake- I bred a black otter and a black butterfly and got three black butterflys, one black otter butterfly, two black selfs and one black otter.

you might get a better response on www.rabbitsonline.net They have some exceptionally knowledgable people on there who REALLY know genetics.

Thank you for your help, i tried to look online about genetics but have no clue as to what it all means lol

I don't think the person wanted butterflys...... as she already has those........ but the dad is a blue otter and mum a seal point..... im confused as to how you get a butterfly...... did you mean one of the parents ie the doe and buck mentioned above? Or their parents..? Sorry i sound soooooo stoopid lol

thanks again

Hi there, just a quick question........

If a Blue Otter mini lop carrying self and a seal point carrying butterfly, sealpoint & sussex cream were to mate, what colours would they produce???? I'm not breeding, just helping a friend out with something she was asked......

Thanks

Emily

Too tired to think properly but I believe the babies will most likely to be black otters, chance of blues depending on the others sussex genes (the breed sussex comes in cream and gold), if the seal point carries self they could produce self babies, and the babies wont be broken/butterfly

I don't know much about genetics, but all otters carry selfs. So potentially a blue otter, black otter, blue self and black self.

Never heard that before, and just googled 'otter genotype' and they either say atat or a_

Thank you for your help, i tried to look online about genetics but have no clue as to what it all means lol

I don't think the person wanted butterflys...... as she already has those........ but the dad is a blue otter and mum a seal point..... im confused as to how you get a butterfly...... did you mean one of the parents ie the doe and buck mentioned above? Or their parents..? Sorry i sound soooooo stoopid lol

thanks again

To get butterfly...
Butterfly x Self
Butterfly x Charlie
Butterfly x Butterfly
Self x Charlie

(Charlies are white rabbits with very very few markings)

Because Charlie/Butterfly is dominant over self, self rabbits can not carry butterfly

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-genetics/broken-pattern-en-charlie-solid/

Back