• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

U/D - Nutmeg has an Abscess in her Ear :(

DeezieHelena

Young Bun
Hi guys,

Just recently stopped Nutmeg's ear drops after her second ear infection - since then she has been breathing quite heavily whilst lying down, I'm presuming it's stress as she hates me touching her ears! Anyway, she is still scratching at them and they are once again swollen and red raw.

A few months ago I noticed this lump at the base of her ear (where her ear joins to her head).
It's never really bothered her before but now sometimes when I touch it she jumps and sometimes even growls at me, and once or twice stomped.
It's not a superficial lump, it's under the skin and I can move it around. It's about the size of a 50p and its ironically on the ear which she has the most trouble with. I'm wondering if it could be an abscess? Could this be the reason she always has pus in that ear and why she always scratches at it?

I have showed the vet a few times and they've just said they couldn't feel anything and look at me as if I'm speaking rubbish or I'm paranoid!

I am a bit more worried now that it clearly annoys her when I touch it since it has been there since September - I don't want it to get any worse!

Any advice? I appreciate anything!

Many thanks :)

Update:

We took Nutmeg to the vet today who had a look in her ear and confirmed that there is a hole from an abscess allowing pus into her ear.

They've booked her in to remove it next Wednesday and put her on Baytril until then.

I don't really know what to expect - any advice?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Personally I would seek the opinion of another Vet ASAP, preferably today. The symptoms you describe do point to an abscess which is clearly causing her pain.

The increased respiratory effort when lying down is of considerable concern as it *might* indicate compromised lung function due to a mass in the chest cavity, possibly more abscesses- ie associated with her ear infections/abscesses- PASTEURELLOSIS

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171317.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Pasteurellosis_lagomorphs.htm

http://www.lbah.com/rabbits/pasteurella.htm#symptoms

Back