• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update Blood test results show signs of bruising and possible EC?

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
:shock:Hello everyone

I am just trying to work out what is wrong with my little gizmo. We thought at first his partner Alex was bullying him [as she is a bossy madam]. The reason we thought this was Gizmo was going a bit bald around the back of his head. When it first started the vet checked him over and said the skin looked healthy and that it was probably a case of "barbering" and to possibly seperate the pair. However me and hunny didnt want to do this as they seemed to be fine together and we have been keeping a close eye on them during play time and trying to discorrage Alex from grooming Gizmos head.
But today was Mummy grooming day [as gizmo is angora cross lion lop] and when i picked him up i noticed the skin looks flakey and the baldness is spreading to his shoulders, on his ears and he had a bald patch under his chin.
I checked his back end also and that too seems to have dandruff. If this is mites what can i do to keep him comfortable over the weekend. Or is it something i need to take him to an emergency vet for? I dont want my little man to suffer so would really appreicate some help. I can do photos if needed.

Last edited:
Without being able to actually see it it is impossible to say what it is or is not.

It could be mites, but there are other possibilities too. So really you do need to go back to the Vet as we cant advise you what might be safe to use on him if we dont know/cant see what the problem is

Good luck xx

Without being able to actually see it it is impossible to say what it is or is not.

It could be mites, but there are other possibilities too. So really you do need to go back to the Vet as we cant advise you what might be safe to use on him if we dont know/cant see what the problem is

Good luck xx

Thanks for replying. I am booking him in the vets first thing monday morning. [unless you think it needs seeing to over the weekend. i dont want him suffering] He seems fine in himself but he is bald around the neck, under his chin and on the back of his ears. The skin looks nice and pink [not red or sore] but it is flaky. I checked his back end too and that seems like he has dandruff. I have checked his partner and she has a slight bit on her too. but nothing like Gizmo's. I also checked my other pair and although one of them had a tiny bit of what looks like dandruff [and i mean tiny] they both seem fine. Also Gizmo shakes his head alot. He has recently been treated for gunked up ears but no mites. that seemed to settle but he is back shaking his head. I looked in his ears as best i could but they look pale and clean [from what i can see]
One thing i am wondering. If it is mites will it be just him who needs treating or all 4 of my rabbits. They live in pairs next to each other. Like neighbours.
I will try and get a photo of gizmo's skin to show people. Like you said i know we cant do anything till we know for sure but i would like to know what you think. Also the only other thing i noticed is that My other rabbits [two lion lops, one rex x netherland dwarf] their coats all feel lush. Alex [the rex x netherland ] is like silk and the other too are super super soft. Where as Gizmo's fur doesn't feel that good at all. More dry and not his usual coat at all.
I will get a photo on here later today if he lets me :)

HI Jacks Jane.

Seems gizmo does have mites but they think there is more too it than that. So he is being kept in for tests. He has lost weight he is dull in his coat and Jane [my vet] is concerned it could be his teeth, or diabetic [as he is weeing in his bed] or possibly thyroid.

Will update as soon as i hear.
:cry::cry::cry:

I hope it doesn't take the vet too long to work out what is wrong and you have him home again soon.

Update. Gizmo is home waiting for blood test results now

Hi all

Got Gizmo back home. He has had his teeth filed and had a scan and a full body xray. all was clear. So we are still unsure. In one way i want the blood to show something but obviously on the other hand i dont. It is horrible not knowing what is wrong with him. But at least he is home now :) and seems to be ok. he has been treated for mites too.

will keep u all posted

Had the blood test results apparently there are signs of brusing [which we said would be from alex pulling out his fur] also signs of arthritis due to slightly high calcium levels and i have been told to treat him [and the others] with panicur as it might be EC:shock:

i have been told to seperate alex and gizmo as he shows signs of elevated stress :cry::cry::cry: as i dont have space to put another hutch we have decided to try seperating them during play times as this is when alex attacks him. i am hoping this will resolve this problem as there is NO WAY i am rehoming either of my babies! so i am keeping everything crossed.

Also please can someone explain what EC is and how gizmo could have caught it???:shock:

I am sure someone will be able to explain EC better than I can but I found out all I needed to know just by googling E cuniculi rabbits and all the info is there.
Treatment is usually 28 day course of panacur for both of them and bleach clean everything on day 21 and 28 or so I have read on here.
It seems to be very common parasitic infection that usually does not cause any symptoms in rabbits but when it does overwhelm their immune system its a horrible disease.

Just realised i never updated this post. Gizmo is back to his nomal handsome self. In fact he is now having to have his fur trimmed he is THAT fluffy. :lol:

We know he is a bit of a genetic screw up and what with him being a gummy bunny and now the arthritis in his back he is in need of lots of love and care, which of course we give him. He seems happy in himself. Alex and him are happy to be together after alex's recent illness so things seem to be all ok again :thumb:

We did the treatment of panicur and did the big clean out too so hopefully we wont have any problems again for awhile. :roll:

Back