• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it really best for the rabbit to have a friend?

zoe-bailey

New Kit
Hi all im new on here and would appreciate some advice as the vet today worried me. She asked if i had intended on getting my pet rabbit bailey neutered, and i replied i hadnt thought of it, ive had him a week and settling in nicely i just wanted him to get comfy before i start taking him everywhere and pulling him about. However she concerned me when she said it really is best if they have a friend. I had/had not thought about getting a friend for him thought maybe about breeding him with another rex however obviously the doe would then have to be seperated away from him. So im thinking since he's still quite young at 9 months keep him on his own for a lil longer MAYBE get him neutuered this year sometime and introduce and female. The obvious worry is that we've grown so fond of eachother he's so affectionate already and loves being around me i wouldnt want to lose that bond however i want whats best for him not me. I suppose any reassure of what im doing for him is the best would be appreciated. thank u!

It's best to have a friend; only rabbits can understand rabbits! But he absolutely cannot have a friend until he's neutered. 9 months is plenty old enough to have him neutered. Male rabbits can be neutered much younger than that :)
Either way; friend or no friend you should definitely get him neutered. It's in his best interests, honestly.

Also, we need photos of this handsome sounding bunny!

Last edited:
It really is in his best interests to get him neutered, it cuts the risk of cancer, and honestly, until you see a bunny playing with another, you cannot appreciate how much they need a companion.

Breeding really is not needed in this current rescue situation. There are over 30 000 bunnies ending up in rescues and so many (including babies) desperate for homes.

I think the best thing for your boy would be neutering then finding him a nice wifey bun from a rescue centre :wave:

Hi :wave:

Breeding is quite complex I believe. You need to go back quite a few generations to make sure there were no illnesses/dental problems etc. Not to mention the fact there are over 30,000 rabbits in rescues without homes :(

Neutering has health benefits for both males and females, and the chance of a companion would be awesome :D He can be neutered now! :D Boys are a lot easier than girls when it comes to that, our boys were fine after about an hour :lol:
Donny was 6 months when he was neutered :)

He won't love you any less :D

Absolutely, rabbits can really understand each other, and it's wonderful to see them snuggling, grooming, playing. They have warmth in winter, a friend for comfort should something scare them, and someone to entertain them when you're not around. I very much doubt you spend every waking hour with your rabbit, and when you're sleeping is often when rabbits are the most active

Thank you all for the advice, i must admit it seems to be best thing for him. Health wise and definetly seeing him have a friend and happy would be lovely! I'll go back to the vets talk more to them and find out more about if they can do it for him. He had his mixi jab today so might have to wait a couple of weeks if so he mite be neutered withing the month. I must admit im a worrier so the thought of him not making it threw the surgery is there however he's young and a healthy rabbit im sure he'll be fine! As soon as i work out how to add pics ill put them on! lol

Thank you all for the advice, i must admit it seems to be best thing for him. Health wise and definetly seeing him have a friend and happy would be lovely! I'll go back to the vets talk more to them and find out more about if they can do it for him. He had his mixi jab today so might have to wait a couple of weeks if so he mite be neutered withing the month. I must admit im a worrier so the thought of him not making it threw the surgery is there however he's young and a healthy rabbit im sure he'll be fine! As soon as i work out how to add pics ill put them on! lol

Try not to worry about neutering :wave: We had Donny neutered at 6 months and he was/is healthy, happy etc :D even Leo who was 4 years old did fine :D

If you do neuter you have to wait a few weeks before you introduce them to a new partner, they can still impregnate females for a few weeks after neutering and their hormones take a while to settle (hormones = fights)

You're near me!

It's good that you can acknowledge what is best for him :) Hopefully you can follow it through :)

it might be useful for you to read this http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingbunnies.htm

What vets do you use?

With regards to breeding, it is complex and complicated and it might be worth having a read of these stickies.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

I'm 'the Rabbit Lady' for the RSPCA Animal Centre near Ipswich. If I can do anything to help you at any point please feel free to contact me :)

I didn't really consider a friend at first for our bunny. I let my daughter buy him knowing I would end up looking after him and decided he needed a friend and it really was worth it. They look so happy together :love:

I was very worried about this too, however it all went fine for mine :) If you have any concerns, you can always speak to your vet. She sounds a good one if she recommended neutering and bonding :)

And, if you get a rescue rabbit for his wife, you don't have to worry about spaying and vaccinating, as they usually come already done :thumb:

Hi and welcome to the site:wave:

I was the same as you when i got my first bun. My male Yoshi was so bonded with me i didnt want to change a thing. I loved his affection and his cuddles. He was a real lap bunny. But when he was a little older than yours is now his hormones kicked in and suddenly he tried dominating me. Charging and grunting. So neutering was in order. Soon after he was back to being cuddly. But once i found this site i realised that he needed a friend. A friend of his own kind. Well after a few probs i got him a lovely rescue bun. It was love at first sight. And now they are always together. he moves she moves. So sweet:love::love::love: Yes i missed the cuddles but seeing those two together was priceless. And every so often he still comes to me for a cuddle. so it is well worth doing. Hope this helps :D

Back