• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Falcon and Pascale

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
This was their first day in the garden. Falcon is now back indoors (he was only allowed to stay out a relatively short time because he's been an indoor bun until now) but Pascale is still out there.

Ooh a house to explore!

Picture1659.jpg

I can't see you so go away!

Picture1647.jpg

Oooh I can fly!

Picture1643.jpg

I seem to have landed!

Picture1644.jpg

Enjoy! :wave:

How do you stop them eating the daffodils? Mine are a nightmare for finding the leaves even when I think I have dug them all up!

How do you stop them eating the daffodils? Mine are a nightmare for finding the leaves even when I think I have dug them all up!

I've tried digging more up every year and you can see how successful I've been. :oops: They never seem to touch the leaves, thank goodness, but they do occasionally nibble on the petals. They've never been ill from it so I think the petal is less problematic.

The bulbs themselves are the most poisonous but they never touch the leaves, not sure why, though - I assumed all buns avoided them. :?

I've tried digging more up every year and you can see how successful I've been. :oops: They never seem to touch the leaves, thank goodness, but they do occasionally nibble on the petals. They've never been ill from it so I think the petal is less problematic.

The bulbs themselves are the most poisonous but they never touch the leaves, not sure why, though - I assumed all buns avoided them. :?

Mine are obviously stupid :lol::lol: All our buns are in runs but bulbs seem to keep shooting in the tiny gap between runs and fence and if they poke through the run they get nibbled!

One of our cats is so stupid she bites the heads of them chews them and then promptly throws up:roll:

I am glad someone else asked that - I did not like to!! Its actually the bulbs that are the real toxic problem and the real issue is if they encounter then whilst making a burrow as they will use their mouths and teth to gnaw through the 'obstruction' and hence ingest them.

I am not sure if daffodil bulbs are quite as lethal as hyacinthoides family but still pretty bad. Hyacinthoides just take a few bites for toxic effect

Mine are obviously stupid :lol::lol: All our buns are in runs but bulbs seem to keep shooting in the tiny gap between runs and fence and if they poke through the run they get nibbled!

One of our cats is so stupid she bites the heads of them chews them and then promptly throws up:roll:

Hehe..it's like humping..there are some things other buns seem to do that mine, for some weird reason, just don't! :shock:

I am glad someone else asked that - I did not like to!! Its actually the bulbs that are the real toxic problem and the real issue is if they encounter then whilst making a burrow as they will use their mouths and teth to gnaw through the 'obstruction' and hence ingest them.

I am not sure if daffodil bulbs are quite as lethal as hyacinthoides family but still pretty bad. Hyacinthoides just take a few bites for toxic effect

Ah that's interesting; thank you. :wave: It was my vet who said that it was the bulbs to watch out for most, though she didn't explain why... All the hyacinths etc are in the front garden, thankfully; it's only daffodils at the back. I will know now to be particularly vigilant with bulbs and burrowing; I always try to pick the bulbs up if I ever see them exposed but as you can see from the pics it's an uphill task. I've never found bite marks on the leaves, though I have looked carefully.

Ah that's interesting; thank you. :wave: It was my vet who said that it was the bulbs to watch out for most, though she didn't explain why... All the hyacinths etc are in the front garden, thankfully; it's only daffodils at the back. I will know now to be particularly vigilant with bulbs and burrowing; I always try to pick the bulbs up if I ever see them exposed but as you can see from the pics it's an uphill task. I've never found bite marks on the leaves, though I have looked carefully.

I know its a real shame and an uphill task but tbh if it was me I would try and remove the daffodils to the front garden as well. I cannot recall the exact substance which causes the problem but it is present in all bulbs to a greater or lesser extent. In the war the Dutch tries ti keep their cattle alive by feeding tulip bulbs - (something they had a lot more of than cattle feed in the war) - it did not work - the cattle died from the bulbs.

UPDATE here is from the website:

All Narcissus species contain the alkaloid poison lycorine, mostly in the bulb but also in the leaves.[8][9]
On 1 May 2009 a number of school children fell ill at Gorseland Primary School in Martlesham Heath, Suffolk, England, after a daffodil bulb was added to soup during a cookery class. The bulbs could often be confused with onions, thereby leading to incidents of accidental poisoning.[9]

PS Haycinthoides a genus not just a species - so hyacinthoides includes grape hyacinth, hyacinth, and most notably bluebell. I do know someone whose rabbits died of eating hyacinthoides. This is why wild rabbits avoid bluebell woods as burrowing areas!

when we swapped the areas of our flower garden with the lawn/bunny area (just dont ask - it took months - ) I actually seived the soil of the old flower garden/new bunny area to remove all the tiny bulbs of grape hyacinth as well as the big ones. Aliums are also an issue.

Last edited:
I know its a real shame and an uphill task but tbh if it was me I would try and remove the daffodils to the front garden as well. I cannot recall the exact substance which causes the problem but it is present in all bulbs to a greater or lesser extent. In the war the Dutch tries ti keep their cattle alive by feeding tulip bulbs - (something they had a lot more of than cattle feed in the war) - it did not work - the cattle died from the bulbs.

All Narcissus species contain the alkaloid poison lycorine, mostly in the bulb but also in the leaves.[8][9]
On 1 May 2009 a number of school children fell ill at Gorseland Primary School in Martlesham Heath, Suffolk, England, after a daffodil bulb was added to soup during a cookery class. The bulbs could often be confused with onions, thereby leading to incidents of accidental poisoning.[9]

PS Haycinthoides a genus not just a species - so hyacinthoides includes grape hyacinth, hyacinth, and most notably bluebell. I do know someone whose rabbits died of eating hyacinthoides. This is why wild rabbits avoid bluebell woods as burrowing areas!

when we swapped the areas of our flower garden with the lawn/bunny area (just dont ask - it took months - ) I actually seived the soil of the old flower garden/new bunny area to remove all the tiny bulbs of grape hyacinth as well as the big ones. Aliums are also an issue.

Grape hyacinth are the spawn of the devil :evil: :lol::lol: They get every where, I can't believe shops actually sell them :shock:

Grape hyacinth are the spawn of the devil :evil: :lol::lol: They get every where, I can't believe shops actually sell them :shock:

Believe it or not I managed to offload 3 bucket loads of grape hyacinth bulbs to a friend/neighbour last week!!!!! She wanted some colour in her garden . . .

Yes, I do keep battling to move the daffodils to the front. They seem to multiply faster than I move them but I persevere. We have lots of bluebells and grape hyacinth at the front but none at the back, thankfully... Good to know wild rabbits are smart enough to avoid bluebell woods!

Yes, I do keep battling to move the daffodils to the front. They seem to multiply faster than I move them but I persevere. We have lots of bluebells and grape hyacinth at the front but none at the back, thankfully... Good to know wild rabbits are smart enough to avoid bluebell woods!

There is an island somewhere (skona rings a bell???) covered in rabbits and bluebells - somehow the co-exist. Although I seem to recall every few years when there is some crisis of over population the buns try and eat the bluebells with the inevitable consequences - but most of the time it is this seemingly impossible mix of bluebell and bunny!!

I recall puffins as well or some other bird which burrows and wonder if the burrows are sometimes made by the birds who may not find the bulbs poisonous then rabbits move in.

There is an island somewhere (skona rings a bell???) covered in rabbits and bluebells - somehow the co-exist. Although I seem to recall every few years when there is some crisis of over population the buns try and eat the bluebells with the inevitable consequences - but most of the time it is this seemingly impossible mix of bluebell and bunny!!

I recall puffins as well or some other bird which burrows and wonder if the burrows are sometimes made by the birds who may not find the bulbs poisonous then rabbits move in.
http://culturalecology.info/skomer/LinkedDocuments/Rabb98.pdf

Back