• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Confused re. dental bunny

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
Can anyone help me understand this, as I can't work it out :oops: :(

My current foster bun arrived just before Christmas straight from his previous home where he was removed from by our RSPCA inspector. He had very overgrown claws when he arrived, which has made me assume that he hadn't seen a vet for a long while, and other things that the Inspector told me about the home/situation would make me think that it was unlikely he had ever been seen by a vet in his life. He is 3 years old, according to the previous owner.

When he arrived he had spurs on his teeth, but no ulceration, no problems with eating, dribbling etc, however during his neuter the vet did burr down the spurs as she obviously decided they were serious enough that this was best. This was 3 weeks ago.

We have been going back for weekly checks with the nurse both to check his neuter stitches and wound, and for dental checks. Over the past 3 weeks the spurs have regrown, though again not so as to cause him discomfort or ulceration. The nurse said it is likely that he will need future dentals, so we need to keep monitoring and checking to see how frequent these will need to be.

What I don't understand is that if he is 3 years old and most likely hasn't ever had a dental before he came to me, why would the spurs now be a problem? I'm not disputing the fact that they have regrown, but can it be the case where spurs can be present but reach a certain level then stop growing? I can't see how this can happen, but I just can't understand it otherwise! I am very inexperienced with dental issues, but I would naively assume that if he had been in his previous home for 3 years with dental problems (ie spurs that can reappear in 3 weeks), that he would have been in immense pain without treatment and the spurs would have been out of control, however that wasn't the case at all.

He has loads of fresh hay, small amount of pellets and greens. I don't know too much about his previous diet except that he had muesli.

I suppose it depends what is causing the issues. If they are wearing down slightly wrong then they might wear down to a certain point and then wear down staying like that. Most rabbits do have spurs of some degree and it might be that his don't trouble him so even though he has them, he might not actually need dentals with them as they are unless they start to causing him problem.

Could be a diet problem? What's he like eating his hay?

It may be that he didn't get the spurs until fairly recently, due to bad diet or a genetic problem. I have a bun who never had problems before, he is 4 and a half and had 2 dentals now so it just shows it can happen at any time. Not all bunnies dribble or even go off their food but they are the most common symptoms of dental problems. As long as this bunny seems ok with his eating and doesn't seem in pain, I would just keep an eye on him until he starts showing symptoms.

I hope this helps :wave:

I suppose it depends what is causing the issues. If they are wearing down slightly wrong then they might wear down to a certain point and then wear down staying like that. Most rabbits do have spurs of some degree and it might be that his don't trouble him so even though he has them, he might not actually need dentals with them as they are unless they start to causing him problem.

Thanks Sky-O. I'm glad you said that might be a possibility, as I didn't know that could happen, and it does seem to tie in with what seems to be happening with him. I suppose we do just need to keep a very close eye on it and hope that it does reach a 'level' and not get worse, but of course treat if it does start to cause problems. Thank you.

It may be that he didn't get the spurs until fairly recently, due to bad diet or a genetic problem. I have a bun who never had problems before, he is 4 and a half and had 2 dentals now so it just shows it can happen at any time. Not all bunnies dribble or even go off their food but they are the most common symptoms of dental problems. As long as this bunny seems ok with his eating and doesn't seem in pain, I would just keep an eye on him until he starts showing symptoms.

He is a good hay eater, and does nice big poos :D. When he had the dental, I was hoping that the problem might have been due to poor diet previously, but then when the spurs grew right back I was a bit stumped. Perhaps it might be as you say, he has reached an age where this is becoming a problem. I really, really hope that it will be a case of him having them but not causing problems. We're on high alert with him though, just in case!

Thank you. I hope your dental bun is doing ok :)

This is very true. My Sandy never showed any dental issues yet when she got to 3 and a half she developed reoccuring misalignment issues with her lower right side. Ironically, she was bred from (two plus years prior to that) and most of her offspring inherited her lower right side misalignment but it showed in them before it showed in her.

Tbh the best thing for a dental bun is to eat hay, hay and more hay! So the fact that he is a good hay eater is ideal :) Give him plenty of things to chew and munch on to try to minimise the spurs but unfortunately if his dental problems are genetic this may not help. Like Sky-O's bun they could be due to a misalignment in his jaw, any small deformity will cause problems.

Watch him closely, if he will need regular dentals you will get to know when he will be due one. My previous dental bun would start drinking 3 times more than usual, lose weight and start peeing where she shouldn't. She never got a runny nose/eyes or wet chin. She also was very sensitive, the tiniest of spurs caused discomfort and pain for her :(
Fiver, however, showed totally different symptoms; he started getting bouts of stasis and gas, teeth grinding and his poo's changed size and colour. He is doing better now thank god and his poo has gone back to the lovely golden brown colour :) Thanks for wishing him well!

I hope your foster bun doesn't need regular dentals. Hopefully you have a good vet who will be able to get him through all of this and you sound like you will give him everything he needs while he's with you :)

Back