• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and chickens together

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
A friend has just told me that her friend is looking for a rabbit for her recently other bereaved rabbit but the local rescue has said they won't rehome to her as her chickens and rabbits free range together. What help or advice can I offer her not knowing about the subject of chickens being with rabbits???

i have a friend who has rabbits free ranging with his hens for years with no problems
A friend has just told me that her friend is looking for a rabbit for her recently other bereaved rabbit but the local rescue has said they won't rehome to her as her chickens and rabbits free range together. What help or advice can I offer her not knowing about the subject of chickens being with rabbits???

Personally I think they are right to say that.

hens are messy creatures and their poo attracts flies.

Also they have a habit of pecking at anything bright - including eyes. Thats ok if the rabbit is awake and moves but when they do the 'falling asleep with eyes open to fool predators' it can be risky.

I have had hens which I have kept in a different part of the garden and watched their behaviours.

In addition I did have for a couple of years a single very 'odd' bantam who loved humans and spent all her time trying to get on your lap - she did share the lawn and patio (and indoors if she had a chance) with the rabbits - but we had to watch her all the time with the smaller ones -

We were thinking of having a single bantam (who for various reasons had been brought up indoors since hatching) as a 'replacement' patio bantam, but she literally attacked one of the rabbits one day when I let her out of her cage in the room . despite having been brought up in a cage next to them since a week old . .

PS I also think the mites and parasites on hens/hen housing 'might' be an issue - especially if bun is in anyway immuno-compromised. My vet once went out to 'advise' (ie strongly worded telling off) one of those 'farm shop/fun centres' that had a rabbit and hen in the same enclosed run.

I have chickens and rabbits but I would not let both free-range together. I'm even slightly concerned about the chickens pecking around the rabbits' enclosure. They're surprisingly inquisitive birds and I too would be worried about a sudden jab of a beak in the direction of an unwary rabbit's eye.

Back