• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit has started lying on his side or stretched out on this tummy, why is this?

Kellyanna

New Kit
Hi

My little bun Moss (he's 6yrs, male, castrated, no known health probs) has, since Wednesday, started lying on his side or lying stretched out kind of in a superman position and I am a bit worried as to why he has suddenly started doing this. He's done it before in the summer when it’s been really hot but it’s not hot here at all at the moment!

I took him to the vets when I first noticed this on Wednesday and she couldn't find anything wrong with him but prescribed baytril just in case and said to keep an eye on him. Apart from this new behaviour he seems fine in himself, eating, hopping about.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

I might just be being paranoid but sudden changes in behaviour worry me! :?

Many thanks in advance

Kelly

This may sound crazy, but could you post a picture of him stretched out at all?

He may just be comfortable.

Maybe he has just got more comfortable? If the vet has checked him over and he seems ok then hopefully he is just chilling in his older age :)

Hello there and welcome to the forum :D:wave:

Generally a superman bunny just means that said bunny is really relaxed in your company and happy to chill out. If he gets other symptoms, like him going off his food, or possibly grinding his teeth (sounds like a crunching noise) then I would see your vet again, but normally it's just an indication of a very happy bun!

Doesn't sound like a great vet who just gives out baytril for no reason.

It could either be because he is comfortable, in which case it is nothing to worry about or it could be because he is in some discomfort and has tummy pains. You'll have to make the judgement yourself I'm afraid going on his overall behaviour. Is he as active and running around as usual? Eating all his normal foods? Pooing normally? If yes to all three I wouldn't worry, but I would look for a new vet.

Back