• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you know when a bun is overweight?

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Stupid question maybe but here goes :oops: I'm wondering if Bella is getting a little bit...chubby :lol: But I can feel her ribs and such, doesn't that indicate a normal weight? :wave:

Somewhere there is a diagram that shows how much you should be able to feel... I think spine and hips without applying pressure - but they should be rounded not sharp.

I was told Tango needed to lose some and now that he has (just a little :roll:) I can see the difference. It's hard as every bunny is different!

There are a couple of links in this sticky for checking weight. :D There's also some info here too, with diagrams.

As the previous poster said, you should be able to feel the bones but they shouldn't be overly prominent.

My bun Frodo is a little chunky, but my vet (who is bun savy and pawsome!) always says a little extra weight is'nt a bad thing as rabbits can quickly shed weight if they are unwell :thumb:
Of course this only goes for a 'little extra' :lol:

Back