• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My poor Rio died last week.

kattymieoww

Warren Veteran
I was wondering if any of you on here had any clues as to what his cause of death was.Obviously without a post mortem nothing is certain.Rio was eight a big white/tortie mini lop,mixed breed.he had been to the vet a few times over the last year and a half with dentals and not eating properly.However he had put his weight back on and seemed happy in himself ,in fact the night before he was relaxed and slobbing on the carpet as usual no signs of illness at all.I was woken the next morning at 6.00 with him screaming (his cage was in my room) he was a total house bunny.I jumped up in fright and went to him he had collapsed with his back legs splayed out in obvious distress,his breathing was rapid . he stopped screaming after a few mins and I tried to move him to a more comfortable position,he then started screaming again.I went to get my niece she was his rabbit and when I went back into my room he was on his side and screamed once more then died.It was horrible,he didn't deserve to go like that.I assume something major,heart/stroke etc.sorry,I don't mean to upset anyone,poor boy Rio.:(

what a horrible thing to have to witness. I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry:

I think it does sound like old age/heart attack. Please don't beat yourself up about it - doesn't sound like there was anything you could do -at least you were with him at the end x

I've had them fit ( everything shutting down) and I found that highly distressing. I imagine what happened to you was so much worse. I hope you can gain comfort in the fact he had an amazing life with you, wanted for nothing and was loved every single day :love::love::love:

I'm so sorry to hear this. :cry:

One of my rabbits died of possibly a heart attack, she screamed and then collapsed and died within a minute or two. :( She had been absolutely fine, no signs of any issues and it happened so quickly.

Thinking of you x

I'm so sorry to hear this. :cry:

One of my rabbits died of possibly a heart attack, she screamed and then collapsed and died within a minute or two. :( She had been absolutely fine, no signs of any issues and it happened so quickly.

Thinking of you x

That's what I thought.he was a an old boy.However it came out of the blue,no symptoms etc.poor rio,binky on boy with your wifie bun.:cry:

Back