• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poll: pellets or no pellets!

Do you feed pellets?

• Total voters

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
I'm curious to know how many of you feed commercial pellets as well as a healthy diet of veg and hay! My Daisy is having problems with cecal dysbiosis the first treatment for which is to go to a hay only diet! I'm struggling to get over the fear both D&D will starve and not get enough nutrients! I only ever fed about x6 SS pellets each a day anyway! I'm now trying the protexin pro fibre pellets which they love! I know they are supposed to be a supplement and not replace the normal pellets, it just made me wonder how many actually don't have pellets at all!

Poll coming....

My vet has always advised no pellets, but I have about a year's supply of various kinds already. I would find it hard to give up on them totally as they are useful for distracting a bun sometimes.

mabel has 9 and half pellets of ss n mornng she knows if try and out do her at one, im sure she can count :lol: sox gets alittle bit more, as he is stil very tiny

Spenser: I have both SS pellets and protexin pellets now. I am not so fond of the SS since they increased the fibre percentage.

Grim has unlimited soggy pellets as it's all he can eat. When Smoo had her abscess she did too as hay was painful to eat. Now I'm weaning her back onto a mostly hay diet.

I had a bunny on hay, dried herbs and water for six months (she had a progressive gut condition. Six months of extra life doesn't sound long, but I so wished I tried it earlier). She didn't lose any weight whatsoever.

My vet has always advised no pellets, but I have about a year's supply of various kinds already. I would find it hard to give up on them totally as they are useful for distracting a bun sometimes.

That's definitely the hardest thing about giving up pellets - the fact that they get so excited about them and they are a nice treat/distracting tactic!

Just to confuse matters even more, right now the lops are having one and a half tablespoons of SS, one scoop of pro fibre and about eight inches of Fibafirst between them. ;) the lions are having the same but without the pro fibre

I voted "No pellets" but that only applies to 2 of the bunnies, 7 are on pellets, but if it was multi-choice I messed up on the voting.

Artie and Esme don't have pellets on vet's advice - Artie because of calcium issues and Esme because she needed to lose weight. Realistically Binky, Tinky could do with slimming down a bit, I really need to start feeding Binky and Shadow separately as I don't want Shadow to lose weight but Binky ought not to gain any weight. Tis so complex.

Last edited:
All our healthy tooth/weight bunnies have SS once a day. the severe dental bunnies and those with weight problems have junior/dwarf pellets, some of them up to 3 bowls a day to keep their weight on

My bun had no pellets at all, just hay and veg for about 12 months. He lost no weight and after a couple of weeks he was just as excited to get his greens as he ever was for pellets and on the upside he got a lovely bloom on his coat after going off the pellets. Mopsy would have loads of hay and greens, lots of twigs and the odd carrot aswell as a bit of fresh grass growing in a pot in the house and a bunny herb garden in a pot yet he never got fat. As a kid we kept lots of buns on veg and hay and they were always the bunnies that seemed to live longest and jump about a lot more.

Just to confuse matters even more, right now the lops are having one and a half tablespoons of SS, one scoop of pro fibre and about eight inches of Fibafirst between them. ;) the lions are having the same but without the pro fibre
I have four different types of pellets on the go (though I don't really count the Bunny Nature as I hand feed them for treats.
It's kind of annoying as it's fiddly with three kinds, and the bags go down SO slowly with only one bun; some days I just want to chuck the P@H Junior 1/4 remaining bag in the bin to simplify things slightly.

I voted "No pellets" but that only applies to 2 of the bunnies, 7 are on pellets, but if it was multi-choice I messed up on the voting.

Artie and Esme don't have pellets on vet's advice - Artie because of calcium issues and Esme because she needed to lose weight. Realistically Binky, Tinky could do with slimming down a bit, I really need to start feeding Binky and Shadow separately as I don't want Shadow to lose weight but Binky ought not to gain any weight. Tis so complex.

Mine are the same - my vet told me to cut down Tango's pellets as he needed to lose weight, but said Finx was fine. They are both good hay eaters though, so she said Finx shouldn't lose out as they have unlimited hay and it 'smells like good quality' :lol::thumb:

Bunny Buddy yes I'm in a similar situation as you with Binky and Shadow! Dudley is fine it's Daisy with the problems but separate feeding for two freerange bunnies that stick to each other like glue especially at feeding time is a nightmare!

SarahP I know you sadly had a lot of troubles with your two :( I was interested to read that despite the hay only diet no weight was lost?! I just can't seem to get Daisy to lose any and sometimes it feels like she's getting bigger!! I tried hunting for some of your older threads about the condition your 2 had (it feels so wrong to be snooping in someones old threads :oops:) I was shocked to see the never ending struggles you went through :shock: There are so many little health threads are there any that explain what you eventually found the diagnosis to be and what the symptoms were? I can see it was one stasis episode after another, did they have cecal dysbiosis with it?

Last edited:
I chose 'one of recognised pellets' but I do give protexin pro fibre when Inca has a dodgy tummy/botty.

bisc and matt used to have oxbow pellets but the vet told me to not feed any pellets but said a probiotic may be useful for them. so i started them on the protexin profibre ones and they became their obsession! :lol: they love them and never even bothered that i stopped the pellets. :thumb:

Depends on the individual situation as to whether or not pellets are in the buns best interest or not.

I'm not going to vote based upon that fact :)

Back