• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage cleaner

VickyC83

Mama Doe
What does everyone use?

I usually but the spray from the pet shop, but am looking to see if there is anything better?

50/50 white vinegar and water, it cleans, sterilises and removes smell its also good on walls and carpet that the buns messed on

I use the Johnson's Clean 'n' Safe green spray in a bottle. It isn't great at removing all traces of dirt, but I'm stuck with it for a while yet as I bought several bottles on special offer around the time I first got the buns.

There are probably better alternatives.

Vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
I've only just started to use it but it's brilliant. I just got up loads of stains with it from my bedroom carpet that had been there for a year or more. I'd used all the high street carpet cleaning brands and nothing had worked. Sprayed it with vinegar (not even white vinegar it was just the cheap stuff) and water, scrubbed it with a broom, left it for half an hour then hoovered it. Carpet is now as good as new. :)
I just used it in the hutch today as well.

I usually just use water for the rabbits trays, then every so often I'll use bleach. Usually I just sweep the floor but when I mop I use water and vinegar. I don't use any detergent on their blankets.

For the mice, I'm currently using pet shop spray just because I have some and when I first got the animals I wasn't sure of what was safe and what wasn't. When it's run out I'll probably use vinegar and water again. Vinegar is great at neutralising any smells and afaik is totally safe to use around the animals. If anything particularly needs a mousey smell out then I sprinkle bicarb over it and then a few hours later dump it in vinegar.

I use the blue stuff from Morrisons? No idea what brand it is though?? lol
Its the pet cleaner in the small pet section.

Back