• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me convince mum

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
As some of you might know I am trying to convince my mum to let me find a friend for Rosie. She is spayed, has had all of her vacs and has a new hutch big enough for 2 so it is time to find a buddy (I will also be building a run to attach but that might take a little time to get all the materials on my budget)

I tried talking to my mum by simply saying how Rosie is lonely and needs a bun to play and cuddle with and she just goes "be happy with the animals you have" or the classic "I don't want more animals"
I sent her a link to a information site about rabbits (I think it was written by the same person who runs this forum :) ) and I asked her today if she managed to read it and she laughed and said yes and how I shouldn't emotionally blackmail her. What else could I try to help make her come around? I can be very stubborn and I am not going to give up until Rosie has a friend to spend her time rabbiting around with.

Does anyone have any videos, info, stories or cute pictures I could send her to try and change her mind?? Thanks :D

P1000459.jpg

my favourite picture of mary and zoid i think. :love:

Is your mam very forgiving?

My mam said no for a while, I eventually just told her I'd found a rabbit and I was getting her. She wasn't happy but she got over it!
I was 20 at the time though so am fully responsible for my pets. I don't know how old you are but obviously if your mam would have to pay, that's not a safe approach!

I think it all depends on who is paying, in the end. If she is paying for Rosie's insurance, vaccinations etc then she has final say.

If you are paying for everything then I would just explain that to her that you intend to get another bunny and will cover all the costs of that. She's probably worried you will get bored and stop spending time with them/stop paying and she will be left with the responsibility.

I mean - I am 20 and I just went out and got a trio of rescue piggies and told my parents, not asked. They know full well I would pay for everything they needed and I do.

I don't really have any advice but I just wanted to say that I'm in the same situation as you in wanting to get a friend for my rabbit :wave:

Unfortunatly I haven't even managed to persuade my mum to get my rabbit neutered or vaccinated, and I don't think the hutch/run he has is big enough for a friend either, so you are one step ahead from me! :)

My mum also says that she "doesn't want any more animals". I get told that everyone on this forum is completely obsessed with their rabbits and over-do everything, and that rabbits have always lived in small hutches and alone :roll:

Is your mam very forgiving?

My mam said no for a while, I eventually just told her I'd found a rabbit and I was getting her. She wasn't happy but she got over it!
I was 20 at the time though so am fully responsible for my pets. I don't know how old you are but obviously if your mam would have to pay, that's not a safe approach!

She is very chilled out and forgiving. Rosie had originally been living in a small hutch that our neighbor made for her as a baby. It was 4 ft long and maybe a foot and a bit high. But as Rosie got bigger she needed more room. I talked to mum and she said Rosie had enough room and she didn't want a huge hutch cluttering up the garden. I found a hutch I could afford by saving up for a few weeks and said "I am getting this hutch, what do you think?" :lol: she did a bit of hmming and raised eyebrows but now it is all nicely painted she loves it :D I am 18, nearly 19 soon so I can afford my own things and everything. The only thing mum helps with is any unexpected vet visits. Everything else I save up for or pay for myeslf :)

Also gwaterhouse I showed mum your picture, she just raised her eyebrows and smiled :lol:

Keep showing your mum pictures of bunnies snuggling, it worked for me :lol: She was very reluctant at first but then I finally plucked up enough courage to really discuss it with her, explain why bunnies benefit from a companion and told her repeatedly that the new bunny would be my responsibilty, she wouldn't have to pay any additional costs etc. :) She loves watching the buns cuddle now and even keeps saying how she can't believe we didn't get Boris a friend sooner!

She is very chilled out and forgiving. Rosie had originally been living in a small hutch that our neighbor made for her as a baby. It was 4 ft long and maybe a foot and a bit high. But as Rosie got bigger she needed more room. I talked to mum and she said Rosie had enough room and she didn't want a huge hutch cluttering up the garden. I found a hutch I could afford by saving up for a few weeks and said "I am getting this hutch, what do you think?" :lol: she did a bit of hmming and raised eyebrows but now it is all nicely painted she loves it :D I am 18, nearly 19 soon so I can afford my own things and everything. The only thing mum helps with is any unexpected vet visits. Everything else I save up for or pay for myeslf :)

Also gwaterhouse I showed mum your picture, she just raised her eyebrows and smiled :lol:

Perhaps think about getting insurance for Rosie so that your mum doesn't have the worry of unexpected vet bills, in her mind 2 bunnies = double the chance of a big vet bill......

I pay for Sweep's insurance and it is £7.50 a month and will go up to £12 with another bun added. Not much when you put it into perspective at all, I mean I paid £6 for my lunch today as I forgot to make a sandwich...:roll:

I also have a single rabbit. While I know most rabbits do best in pairs, what stops me nagging for permission to get Spenser a friend is that if they didn't get on (and this can happen) I would then be needing two separate lots of bunny accomodation and have two single rabbits on my hand.

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but you should have a back up plan. If you are near a rescue who would 'date' Rosie the above wouldn't apply in the first instance.

If I were to convince mum the nearest rescue near me is Woodside Sanctuary. They don't seem very knowledgeable there, they offered to spay a female guinea pig for me last year :shock: so they don't really know about 'dating' per say. I would have to talk to them about trying to find the right match for Rosie when I go there

Back