• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit has a runny eye...help?

Vincent is 9 weeks old and I've only had him for a week, so I'm not too familiar with what's normal and what's not.

Today I went out to him and noticed that his left cheek was wet, like his eye had been running. I looked at it closely and the eye doesnt seem sore or watery, but there was a very tiny amount of white stuff, like sleep, where it was wet. He doesnt seem to be in pain but when I hold him he is quite impatient and wont stay still for long, although this may just be the way he is! :lol:

Ive been reading about all kinds of nasty eye problems and I'm a little worried about it :?

Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Thank you x

zoid has had a watery eye before, and it has cleared up by itself in the next day or two... i'd keep an eye on it personally and if it persists/gets worse, then go to the vets.

this is only from personal experience, so i could be miles off what you should do.... but worrying isn't going to help :wave:

Like gwaterhouse, i'd monitor for a day, give or take, and if it persists, i'd head straight to the vets.

It could be he's got a little hay in it or something and irritated it, or a few other issues such as teeth, or blocked tear ducts, but primarily, i'd see if it continues for a day or so and then get straight to the vets for a check up :)

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it for the next few days. It doesn't look infected or anything so hopefully it's just something has irritated it like you said :roll:

Again thanks for the help :thumb:

x

It seems alot better today thank you! Both cheeks are dry and his eyes are bright :) so hopefully he just had some sawdust or hay in his eye! I'll look out for it happening again but for now I think he's fine :D

Thanks for the replies! :wave:

Back