• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wee Question

Lost_blonde

Warren Scout
I have a question about Bella's Wee, It's looking a little cloudy. however i think it's my own fault.... On friday night when i brought her home she did a lil wee on the floor, bit yellow-ish but i thought as she's been traveling with her last owner for a hour and me for about 20min, i thought she probs a bit dehydrated and stressed, I gave her a aprox a egg cup of her food, for when she was ready to eat. I was given her normal J&J rabbit pellets for change over, and put with with a very small amount of our pellets a pile of fresh hay, some fresh herbs and a bit of carrot, the herbs she turned her nose up at but carrot she ate about half a hour after this she did a cloudy wee on the floor. Am i right in thinking it's the carrot?

Currently i've cut out the veg as her lil tummy isnt used to it, and that with changing over food i dont want to upset her to much, She isnt drinking as much as i'd like either. she loves her pellets but isnt so keen on hay. I gave her a small bit of carrot last night, to try and get some more fluid into her and this morning i noticed she has a lil bit of a dirty bum, but i think it's more cloudy wee on her fur! Her poops are hard and starting to go a nice colour to start with they were small and black ish.

Should i carry on trying to change over her food, or just buy J&J? which i dont have a problem with doing if she's well on it. my other question is do i try to intruduce more differnt kids of veg? she isnt use to eating veg, where as Thumper could eat it all day long :roll:

Thank you in advance, for any advice

With any dietary change it needs to be done gradually and if you are changing pellets I'd get that sorted before introducing any Veg.

Carrots are the least appropriate to start with as they have a very high sugar content which can easily upset the gut flora. Most of my Rabbits never have any carrot at all. Neither do they have fruit (high sugar content again). For fresh food they have dark leafy greens, herbs such as Basil, Coriander, flat leaf parsley

Rabbit urine can be a variety of colours

http://www.greendale.co.uk/rabbit_urinalysis.html

If you feel you need to encourage a better fluid intake try giving water in a bowl rather than a bottle. Most Rabbits will drink more from a bowl.

With any dietary change it needs to be done gradually and if you are changing pellets I'd get that sorted before introducing any Veg.

Carrots are the least appropriate to start with as they have a very high sugar content which can easily upset the gut flora. Most of my Rabbits never have any carrot at all. Neither do they have fruit (high sugar content again). For fresh food they have dark leafy greens, herbs such as Basil, Coriander, flat leaf parsley

Rabbit urine can be a variety of colours

http://www.greendale.co.uk/rabbit_urinalysis.html

If you feel you need to encourage a better fluid intake try giving water in a bowl rather than a bottle. Most Rabbits will drink more from a bowl.
Thank you Jack's Jane, She has a choice or bottle and bowl, I was reading some people put flavors in to the water to encurage their rabbits to drink more, would that be a good idea? I started with small amount of carrot as the leafy greens upset thumper when frist started him on veg. i'd like them both to eat the same pellets as i'd like to bond thumps and bella later on. i'l keep the veg away from her for now and stick to pellets until she she over complealty. thanks again for your help:wave:

Thank you Jack's Jane, She has a choice or bottle and bowl, I was reading some people put flavors in to the water to encurage their rabbits to drink more, would that be a good idea? I started with small amount of carrot as the leafy greens upset thumper when frist started him on veg. i'd like them both to eat the same pellets as i'd like to bond thumps and bella later on. i'l keep the veg away from her for now and stick to pellets until she she over complealty. thanks again for your help:wave:

I would try adding a probiotic to he drinking water. This may encourage her to drink more and it will help re-establish the 'good' bacteria in her guts.

The probiotic that many of my Rabbits really seem to like is this one

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-suppleme...probiotic-products-c-5_172/avipro-plus-p-1225

I would try adding a probiotic to he drinking water. This may encourage her to drink more and it will help re-establish the 'good' bacteria in her guts.

The probiotic that many of my Rabbits really seem to like is this one

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-suppleme...probiotic-products-c-5_172/avipro-plus-p-1225

Do you by chance know how much sugar is in that? I noticed before that it has dextrose as an ingredient but I can't find anywhere how much is actually in there.

Do you by chance know how much sugar is in that? I noticed before that it has dextrose as an ingredient but I can't find anywhere how much is actually in there.

I cant find any info re exact amount, sorry.

All I know is that it has helped one of mine who had cecal dysbiosis. None of the other probiotics, including Fibreplex, had any effect.

I cant find any info re exact amount, sorry.

All I know is that it has helped one of mine who had cecal dysbiosis. None of the other probiotics, including Fibreplex, had any effect.

Thanks for having a look anyway. Good to know you've used it and it was ok though.

Back