• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very odd skin problem - PLEASE can anyone help!! 4 of 5 have died :(

Hi all

Can anyone help please?
A couple of weeks ago I found 5 domestic rabbits just off one of the mountain roads.
I brought them home but noticed that they had very crusted up ears and calluses on their faces and feet.
The ears were relatively easy to clear with ear cleaner and cotton wool, but the calluses were not.
The first night 2 of them died, the weakest ones.
Then 3 of them seemed fine for about a week, then another died. The 2nd to last rabbit died just a few days ago and we are left with one. When the other 2 died it was a huge shock as they seemed fit and healthy one minute so we thought all was well.
I cant work out what is up with his skin/body though.
His feet all have huge calluses on which, after a long soak in iodine water, managed to come away revealing fresh, raw skin underneath. The face looked like it had a massive goatee on. It had a huge chin callus, one on each cheek and one on his nose making it look like he has a massive hooter.
I managed to soak and remove all but the nose callus but the skin looks like it has suffered from some kind of fungal disease or something. It smelt too, almost like rotten flesh. The calluses were weird though as they were getting bigger and bigger (the biggest that we removed was about the side of the top of your thumb)
Also it is as if he doesnt want to or cant put his feet down properly. His back one mainly sticks up as if he doesnt want to put weight on it.
They have not been outdoors since finding them and no flies can reach them (or rather, him as there is just one left).
He is eating fine and drinking...and pooing. But looks quite sleepy at the mo. He has been drying by the fire on a soft towel.
The eyes and nostrils are clear of gunk.
I have kind of ruled out myxamitosis but I could be wrong????

If anyone can shed any light onto this I would really apppreciate it. I just want to know what we are dealing with.

Which country are you in?

It sounds like the north american version of myxomatosis which causes skin problems but most rabbits survive. (Shope fibroma virus)

How are they around humans? Are you sure they are domestic?

Have you seen a vet?

Last edited:
Ah, thank you for the reply. I am in the canary islands. They are definately domestic buns and great around people, i assume that they were dumped, maybe after xmas. Not yet seen a vet, was trying to get to the bottom of it. But if north american myxamitosis causes skin problems then that may be it. It is quite rife over here and only a few months ago we picked up a wild rabbit that was in the middle of the road with eyes caked and swollen shut. Took it to the vet and it got a couple of shots and we bought drops and baby food to try and rescue it but it died overnight. Wierd cos that one had no skin trouble at all. Thanks again.

I think you would have standard myxomatosis in that area, not the milder American version Stator mentions. Hopefully some more experienced posters may be able to answer your questions.
There is information available on nursing bunnies through myxo.

How is the remaining bunny doing?

This does sound very much like myxomatosis.

There is a chance of survial but he really needs to have antibiotics to try and prevent secondary infections in the lungs and throat -which is what actually kills them in the end.

How is the last one?

Back