• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Enrichment

Pippin'sMum

Alpha Buck
I am always on the lookout for new toys and enrichment for my buns and would like to share a couple of ideas that have worked well for us. I have two bonded pairs, both neutered male/neutered female, one pair live in a shed with a large hutch and grassed run attached to the shed via a pophole, the other pair have a chicken house with a purpose built cover and a large run attached. I recently shopped in Aldi and saw a bird feeder which consists of a spring mechanism on a hook. I have something similar for hay feeding, and can't find another the same, I bought the first one a few years ago I think from Pets at Home. This works really well for hay, it costs about £3.99 I think. Just remove the fat ball :oops: and pull the spring open, then fill the gaps with hay and let the spring go, this squeezes the hay in, then hang up for buns to help themselves. I use Readigrass.

The other tip is to buy cheap storage boxes with lids from Poundstretcher or similar and cut a hole in one end, then part-fill with potting compost or something for them to dig in. Both my does go mad for this. It means sweeping it up every day, but they enjoy it. I have bought a couple of these for less than a tenner, and bags of compost for £1.99. You need to be careful cutting the hole in them, the plastic is very brittle and cracks easily, but a bun-sized hole is not too difficult to fashion.

Please post your favourite enrichments!!:wave:

The bird feeder hay is a good one.
i use the big storage box digging box, but mine's stuffed with paper.
i like putting different sized cardboard boxes inside each other with pellets right in the middle one.

Back