• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-litter training

Jamie

Warren Scout
Hi,
Not sure if I am posting this in the right area.

I need a bit of advice about re litter training my buns! They both use the litter tray but they seem to have decided to poo and sometimes wee around the tray and over a rug in the living room. There was another bun in the house that wasn't bonded with them but had only been in one room, not where they live. I do have a new bun in the house also.I have however vinegar washed the floors but it didn't help they just pooed to mark it again!
Any ideas on what to do with the little monkeys would be great!
Xx

Not a lot you can do unfortunately if you have another rabbit in the house.

They are probably able to smell/hear/see the new bun on you and their surroundings, so they are doing what is totally natural and marking their area to ensure that the 'unknown bun' knows this is somebun elses territory. This probably wont stop until they are comfortable with that other rabbit, or it leaves and you completely neutralise everything unfortunatly :(

Thanks Graham. I had a feeling that that would be the case. I am hoping to bond them but the new bun is only 12 weeks.
Once they are bonded should it stop? And if I neutralise won't they just want to remark it?
Xx

Thanks Graham. I had a feeling that that would be the case. I am hoping to bond them but the new bun is only 12 weeks.
Once they are bonded should it stop? And if I neutralise won't they just want to remark it?
Xx

It shuold stop i would think once fully bonded, as the bun would be accepted and would no longer be an outsider so to speak, if that makes sense? That's my understanding of it. And it'll need to be neutralised before a newly bonded group went into it, because the original bun would think it was still just 'theirs' if that makes sense?

Is the new bun a male or female?

Yeah that makes sense I think! The new bun was meant to be a boy but is a girl! Does that make a difference? X

Yeah that makes sense I think! The new bun was meant to be a boy but is a girl! Does that make a difference? X

Time wise, yes, very much so. Males can be neutered from ~14-16 weeks. Females can be spayed around the 6 month mark, roughly, so its a little while longer you have to wait, then 6-8 weeks post spay prior to any bonding.

:)

Yeah it's going to be awhile til bonding! I will just have to ride it out!
Fingers crossed they bond! My female Twix can be a little monster! Thanks
Xx

Back