• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch advice...

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
The two outside bunnies who have stayed with us desperately need new housing as the hutch they are in atm just isn't big enough. My younger brother has said that he'll loan me the money and I can pay him back monthly... :D

Having read some comments of happy hutch on here, I don't really want to go down that route.

I've found this hutch on ebay ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-FT-2FT-...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3a7093c740

The man who builds them will do commissions, this is just an example of one of his hutches.

The question I have is, would you go with shiplap or plywood?

This is an example of one of his plywood hutches...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-FT-SING...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3cc28231d8

I was going to ask him to do a single 6x2x2 hutch with attached 6x4 run and then we have materials here to extend the run out, making it suitable for RWAF standards...

So... Do I go with Happy Hutch or ask this man if he can build one for me?

And if he can build one for me, do I go with shiplap or plywood?

Thank you :D xxx

Plywood because they can only chew it at the edges. Shiplap provides too many edges for their teeth to chew on.

Plywood because they can only chew it at the edges. Shiplap provides too many edges for their teeth to chew on.

Is 6mm not too thin though? :)

I don't know if I could ask him to use 9mm.

Also, is shiplap not more sturdy?

My current bunnies really aren't chewers... not even cardboard or bunny toys. Will plywood provide enough insulation?

6mm is about the thinest I would use, but is okay.

I wouldn't say shiplap is particularly more sturdy, plywood can be just as good when talking about a hutch because the plywood will be all one piece. For a shed it's different because it will be multiple pieces and so how they join together matters.

In terms of insulation it doesn't really matter, they will both be about the same. If you want extra insulation you will have to add it yourself using something on the inside and then covering it over. If you do that I would say use plywood on the inside and it wouldn't matter what you had on the outside.

I'd never go with a fully plywood hutch. Far too flimsy and pretty ugly too in my opinion. Would have to be marine grade ply and atleast 9mm to stand a chance of lasting, but plywood would be light and therefore not good in all weathers, particularly bad winds.

The first one looks really good.

I know lots of people who've had Happy Hutches and are really happy with their purchases.

9mm Plywood is the smallest thickness i would use for any type of work outside using Plywood, it has to be WBP and ideally Redfaced Plywood.

Daniel knows his stuff. Maybe he can make you an awesome hutch? He's very accomplished and his craft is excellent from what I've seen :)

I'd go for log lap! :wave: Ryedale hutches are fantastically made. If you were closer I'd offer you the one I'm wanting rid of. :)

Could you go for a playhouse/shed/aviary?

I'd go for log lap! :wave: Ryedale hutches are fantastically made. If you were closer I'd offer you the one I'm wanting rid of. :)

Could you go for a playhouse/shed/aviary?

I'd love a Ryedale but unfortunately, the funds aren't available for a Ryedale :( A full sized shed is too big atm but a playhouse is an option... If I can get one cheap enough, at a good size!

If I was nearer to you Ali, I'd have it off you in a shot!!! :D

If Daniel wants to make me one and can find a way to get it to me... I'd happily rather pay an RU member instead :D

If plywood isn't good enough, that's fine by me :D I think that seller only uses 6mm anyway so I wouldn't be happy with that.

I would go with Happyhutch and have seen lots of people who are really happy, I'm just wary when I read a few bad reviews :oops:

I'd love a Ryedale but unfortunately, the funds aren't available for a Ryedale :( A full sized shed is too big atm but a playhouse is an option... If I can get one cheap enough, at a good size!

If I was nearer to you Ali, I'd have it off you in a shot!!! :D

If Daniel wants to make me one and can find a way to get it to me... I'd happily rather pay an RU member instead :D

If plywood isn't good enough, that's fine by me :D I think that seller only uses 6mm anyway so I wouldn't be happy with that.

I would go with Happyhutch and have seen lots of people who are really happy, I'm just wary when I read a few bad reviews :oops:

My playhouse is (internally) 5ftx just over 5ft. It was £200, so at the lower end, costwise and is fantastic! :D The only problem I find is that Oliver wants to "share" it with River! :lol:

I'd never go with a fully plywood hutch. Far too flimsy and pretty ugly too in my opinion. Would have to be marine grade ply and atleast 9mm to stand a chance of lasting, but plywood would be light and therefore not good in all weathers, particularly bad winds.

The first one looks really good.

I know lots of people who've had Happy Hutches and are really happy with their purchases.

What do you think is going to happen to plywood in wind?

What do you think is going to happen to plywood in wind?

I have read about it many times and seen examples where lighter weight plywood hutches have simply been blown around in strong winds. Obviously you could have a hutch made in much heavier gauge ply say 12mm or more but I bet most manufacturers of mainstream hutches only use 6mm/9mm max.

Having had many 'donated' to me when rabbits are given up for adoption, they are normally very poor quality. I am sure that you could give me the odd example of a good plywood hutch, but in the main, they are just not as robust or longlasting as tongue and groove or shiplap (IN MY OPINION AND EXPERIENCE).

I'd go with the man to build the hutch. I really dislike the Happy Hutch company, their customer service stinks.

I have read about it many times and seen examples where lighter weight plywood hutches have simply been blown around in strong winds. Obviously you could have a hutch made in much heavier gauge ply say 12mm or more but I bet most manufacturers of mainstream hutches only use 6mm/9mm max.

Having had many 'donated' to me when rabbits are given up for adoption, they are normally very poor quality. I am sure that you could give me the odd example of a good plywood hutch, but in the main, they are just not as robust or longlasting as tongue and groove or shiplap (IN MY OPINION AND EXPERIENCE).

Sounds like the whole thing was poorly made rather than being a problem with the plywood. If it's got a sturdy frame that would weigh down the hutch.

I'd go for the ebay seller in. Whichever wood you go for I would recommend buying a layer of plywood to go around the inside if your bunny is a bit of a chewer. Just helps keep the huth nice and tidy. I would also go for the shiplap personally. I have found with thin plywood the water just seemed to seep right through and rot it. I bought the basic 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch from The Happy Hutch Shop. Mine was £130 and with the run it is £199 and I am really happy with mine so far :thumb:

Send me a PM with the details of what you want and size, and i'll see what i can do for you.

In my opinion all out door buildings like hutches, playhouses and sheds should be fixed to the ground.

Back