• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet charges - Infusion Pump

shannon321

Alpha Buck
I very sadly lost my bobbi to severe impaction last week, i rang the vets today to sort out my bill as he was rushed in before he died.
They have charged me £95, about £40 of which is made up of the consultation, the fluids, gut mobilser and pain killer which is all fine but then a whopping £52 is for the set up of the infusion pump which i've been charged a further £4 for running costs?

Now i've never had any animal put on a line for fluids so i'm not sure if this is the going rate but it seems extortionate to me, specially seeing as he didn't save my Bobbi anyway!

I like my vet, he's generally very good and often discounts me, i havent had the chance to speak to him personally yet so he may discount this on account that we lost Bobbi but im not sure he will. I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me so to speak by questioning this bill if it is the going rate so wondered if anyone else knew about the cost of setting up these machines.

Also when i took my bobbi in he was in a bad way so after the consult he was seperated from his mate and taken out the back to have a line put in his ear and pain killers BUT the vet then continue to see his next client so i presumed another vet or the nurses where out back seeing to my boy, as he was with the other client for a good 15mins so once she had come out i went to reception and asked if they had managed to get a line in and she went to check but then came back and said my vet was still working on him so obviously no one saw to him straight away, i'm sure this wouldn't of saved him but it would of been nice if he could of been out of pain quicker? I'm not sure whats right and wrong in this situation, can anyone advise? He's the best vet i've found locally and was even going to take my boy home over night with him as the overnight practice is an hours drive away and he didn't think he'd make the drive but all this is now making me question him?

Esme was put on a drip last week and the bill shows £47.75 for "infusion pump", so it looks about the mark price-wise. Artie was also on a drip after having his kidney removed and from memory it was around the £40 - £50 mark, at a different practice.

My honest response is that Bobbi was getting the correct treatment and I would be extremely relieved to know that a bunny with an impaction had gone somewhere where they took good care of him, even if it didn't save him. ie he'd made the diagnosis and was getting fluids into him. In these circumstances I'd be reluctant to question the cost, even it if does seem a lot.

As for the details in the last paragraph, sorry, I can't advise. I think it's natural to question every detail when you've lost them and I hope you get reassurance as knowing their getting the best care possible is so important when you are frightened of losing them.

Last edited:
Back