• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying and hormones...

birdlady

New Kit
Hi

I am getting my doe spayed next monday, was wondering how long it takes hormones to settle down post spay before you can try bonding?

Also is it ''normal'' for a neutered buck to spray? I didn't realise they did it but mine does everytime he goes into the room where her cage is and bunny tods everyehre! I assume its a territorial thing? As soon as she sees him I think she thinks its breeding time...hense the straw in mouth I want to make a nest!

Can't work out if he's trying to nip her through the cage also, a lot of chin rubbing happening!

Advise/help appreciated.

Thanks. :thumb:

Answers in bold.

Hi

I am getting my doe spayed next monday, was wondering how long it takes hormone to settle down post spay before you can try bonding!

6-8 weeks

Also is it ''normal'' for a neutered buck to spay? I didn't realise they did it but mine does everytime he goes into the room where her cage it! I assume its a territorial thing? As soon as she sees him I think she thinks its breeding time...hense the straw in mouth I want to make a nest!

Yes, it does happen sometimes. He's being territorial about a rabbit on his territory and is marking his ground

It is breeding season, if she's nesting, it could be a phantom pregnancy, unless at any time they have had ANY time together BEFORE he was neutered?

Advise/help appreciated.

Thanks. :thumb:

Hi

Ah thats ok, he's been neutered since he was young and he's 6 now. Thought it was prob a territory thing with the spraying etc. Hopefully when she's spayed her hormones will calm down.

Thanks.

Back