• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is 6 and a half old for a Frenchie?

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
While it doesn't seem 5 minutes since Storm was a tiny bundle of fur, all ears and feet :love::lol:Someone who has had French lops for many years told me that he is now very old at 6 and a half :shock: This can't be true can it??? she told me that most of hers only reached 4 or 5 :cry:

I know that each bun is different. I just find it so hard to believe that 6 is old. Stormy is a big bun, but there are bigger bunnies out there. I rightly or wrongly assumed that it was the GIANT giants who had shorter lives :?

From what I gather 6 1/2 is fairly old for a frenchie.
Generally the bigger the bun the more strain on their heart and the earlier they pass away. So a small frenchie should arguably live longer than a big frenchie, and a big frenchie longer than a conti. There are more factors to consider though, as there are some really old giants and some nethies that die long before their breeds life expectancy.

Just look after him as best you can, give him a good diet and plenty of space to exercise and then whatever age he passes at least you'll know he had the best life he could do, and as much of it as you could have given him :D

Aww bless my lovely old man :( where does the time go? he's around 7KG, is this a big Frenchie ? I can't believe he's old :(

He and his wifey ( gypsy the lionhead ) are house bunnies with a small room of their own. They will only eat oxbow or alfalfa king hay and have a mixture of dried herbs and grasses daily. They also have 3 different types of pellet, science selective, silence selective mature and a small amount of burgess mature. They have the odd raisin as a treat, fresh grasses and a few veggies or greens. I do my best for my babies but always want to do more.

A french lops life span is,on average,4-6yrs old.My last frenchie lived until she was almost 7yrs old & I have at home now a 5 1/2 year old girl.Will was a big girl weighing 15lbs & B,who I have now has been plagued with ill health all her life,so I didn't expect her to get to the age she has done.She is a small frenchie,weighing between 9-10lbs.Your french lop is doing very well & I hope & pray my girly reaches a similar age.Keep up the good work:D

Aww bless my lovely old man :( where does the time go? he's around 7KG, is this a big Frenchie ? I can't believe he's old :(
I think it is quite big, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's on the verge of cronking it!
If he seems healthy and active then try not to worry. I mean, the fact you're giving him such a great life is obviously doing wonders if he's already 6 and a half and you only think he's old because that's what averages tell us, and not based on his behaviour and condition. :D

Storm does seem happy and healthy, although he's not as active as he used to be. Having said that he's never been the most active of bunnies, about the only thing he gets worked up about is food!:lol: if he thinks Gypsy has something he hasn't he will chase her around. Luckily Gypsy is still faster, (even though she is 8,) and can squeeze into places he can't :D

Back