• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet Dilemma... Advice Please

littleboots

Mama Doe
Im in a real dilemma....
Ive been with my vet for many years, and use them for all my animals ie: dog/cat/bunnies.... and they also cover large animals... so use them for my horse too..
Ive always been happy with the treatment all my animals have had... until latley.
I took Treacle (my dental bunny) for a routine dental and was met by a vet I hadnt seen before... Treacle never came round from the GA and I was with him when he died at the surgery :(
I know this happens.... but something does not sit right with me ...:?
I cant get it out of my head that in some way she "killed" him :cry: It just wont go away.
I now have Sadie my other dental bunny who I feel is heading for another dental.... but phoned the surgery on Monday only to be told the vet who did Treacle was on until Thursday :( I refused to take her.... I just cant!! Thank goodness its not urgent and will wait until then.
I just dont know what to do.... should I change vets or am I being totally unreasonable..
Sorry for the long post :oops:

Could you maybe arrange a meeting to discuss Treacle and what happened and see if they offer you a satisfactory explanation for what happened?

I'm sorry you're going through this, both losing Treacle and now facing the same procedure with Sadie.

I agree with sky-o a chat with the vet might help you have some closure and restore confidence also it let's you get to know the vet better and get a gut feeling and if you feel you still can't trust her ask for another vet to do the dental or possibly change vets trust is very important in these situations

Could you maybe arrange a meeting to discuss Treacle and what happened and see if they offer you a satisfactory explanation for what happened?

I'm sorry you're going through this, both losing Treacle and now facing the same procedure with Sadie.

Thankyou
I tried.. I lost Treacle on the Monday... and had Dylan in on the Wednesday.... I intended asking loads of questions..
Normally they admit my bunnies in the consulting room and Im seen by my vet.... this time they sent a nurse to deal with the "hand over" in to the waiting room.... I felt I they were just avoiding me and any questions :(
Ive just had my bill for Treacle and they haven charged me for the GA.... now is that goodwill or guilt :?
I hate feeling like this :cry:

:( That's very fresh.

I would say, if you can, if you have someone contactable at the surgery (like ours has a Customer Care Manager) then explain to them your fears and see if there would be any opportunity to discuss it with the vet. That way you can plan all your questions and ask anything you feel you need to know. Another option would be to write a letter to them.

Then, if your gut instinct is still not happy then look for the other options.

:( That's very fresh.

I would say, if you can, if you have someone contactable at the surgery (like ours has a Customer Care Manager) then explain to them your fears and see if there would be any opportunity to discuss it with the vet. That way you can plan all your questions and ask anything you feel you need to know. Another option would be to write a letter to them.

Then, if your gut instinct is still not happy then look for the other options.

Thanks Sky-O
I will explain my fears and concerns when I take Sadie and Bramble on Thursday...
Ive just really struggled with what happened... and when I phoned and the same vet was on.... I panicked.... and refused to see her.

I know how horrible this is as it's happened to me and I am rubbish at confrontations especially when I am really upset. We had an autopsy done on our first rabbit when she died after a simple tooth trim done by an inexperienced vet (our regular vet found out she was pregnant so couldn't do it) but it didn't show up any reason for her death. The vet just said that it was"her time to go" and I was so stunned by this :censored: stupid answer that I didn't know what to say. She was only 18 months.

I think it is reasonable to doubt the vet's expertise as we all know very well that not all vets are experts with rabbits and I know there are different views on how to anesthetise rabbits and that some protocalls are riskier than others. I would say talk to them if you think it will help you but you may not get a clear answer from them and they will certainly not admit any liability :(

I know how horrible this is as it's happened to me and I am rubbish at confrontations especially when I am really upset. We had an autopsy done on our first rabbit when she died after a simple tooth trim done by an inexperienced vet (our regular vet found out she was pregnant so couldn't do it) but it didn't show up any reason for her death. The vet just said that it was"her time to go" and I was so stunned by this :censored: stupid answer that I didn't know what to say. She was only 18 months.

I think it is reasonable to doubt the vet's expertise as we all know very well that not all vets are experts with rabbits and I know there are different views on how to anesthetise rabbits and that some protocalls are riskier than others. I would say talk to them if you think it will help you but you may not get a clear answer from them and they will certainly not admit any liability :(

Thankyou.
Im sorry this happened to you too :( They told me the same.... it was "his time to go".... it blooming well wasnt!!!
I will be having words tomorrow.... Im dreading it... but I will do it for Treacles sake and for the sake of my other bunnies.
I need some answers.... but I doubt I will get them ... as you say.... theyre not about to admit liability.
I know what I think in my heart :( and it wont go away.
I will decide tomorrow where I go from here.

Back