• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is the most you've paid in vet fees for a stasis episode?

What was the total cost of treating the stasis episode?

• less than £100

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Between £100 and £200

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Between £200 and £300

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Between £300 and £400

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Between £400 and £500

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Between £500 and £600

• Between £600 and £700

• Over £700

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I've seen some pretty shocking figures given in the past and just wondering how much a stasis episode, with no underlying cause found, can cost.

I've paid £200 to £250 a few times, when they've been at the vets a few days. These have usually been out of hours beyond 11pm. It's quite scary how a severe belly ache/unexplained eating refusal can create a big bill, and something we all need to be prepared for as it could happen to any bunny.

I'd urge anybody who is hands-on to invest £10 in a blood glucose testing kit as that might just give you the reassurance on holding off making the call and nursing the rabbit at home if appropriate until next morning. *This isn't always the appropriate course of action though, even with 'safe' reading*.

I'm still in shock that the care Esme had last week has added up to £530. She did have excellent care, I couldn't fault it but I just wanted to highlight how big the bills can be for anyone unsure about insurance.

The breakdown (figures approximate):

Emergency call out £150
Consultation £20 (+ possibly more consultations)
Drip £50
X-ray £62
Day's nursing £20 (x however many needed)
Blood tests £40

etc etc.

Autumn was £250 but I don't necessarily believe he should have been admitted, or got treatment appropriate to his condition (he as treated for stasis secondary to dental issues, but he was in the third episode of an acute pain situation- unsure what it was caused by yet because she didn't run the tests I asked for, such as blood tests.)

Edit; wrong rabbit ..

When I first had Donny we were given meds for him because he stopped eating and pooping for a bit too long, we didn't really know if it was statis but he was a lot better after the course of meds :) that cost about £60.

Last edited:
About £80. £60 of that was for a consult to tell me what I already more-or-less knew. We have meds at home now though to treat an episode immediately. With Smudge though it tends to be not too serious and more fright (or sometimes a sulk!) stopping him from eating.

Oh my goodness. I have been lucky with my vets, when Beano was admitted over a saturday/sunday my vet still didn't charge us over £100 despite the fact at my normal practice I would have seen an emergency vet he told me to go to the bridlington branch where he'll be there and didn't charge me for the consultation.

Thanks guys. In over 7 years it's the first time it's cost so much. She is insured thank god but I have 3 bunnies here that are not insured for gastro-intestinal and if I was paying with 'real money' it would definitely be causing palpitations (though I know in reality when you get the bunny back alive when you were thinking the worst you find a way of coming to terms with the financial side of things ... somehow!)

Hopefully we won't have another one like that for a while. :?

Fay's recent episode has cost us £600-700. Normally between £100-£200. Fay did have bloat/gas as well as stasis, and we suspect underlying cystitis/urinary tract infection, but we cant be 100% sure.

All I can say is thank goodness we have insurance as without it we would be in serious financial difficulty right now.

Mine was £300 but that was PURELY due to TWO trips to the emergency vets which is £150 just to walk through the door :roll:

While if he (being Bob the sensitive monster) is poorly in time to go to the regular vets, like this morning cost me £40.

Charlie has been my most expensive with a stasis episode, it was £350 but it just happened to be a Bank Holiday with an overnight stay so I think that bumped the price up quite a bit!

Bentley cost me just over £700......he wasn't even mine at the time!! He was a very seriously poorly lad and it was a miracle that he pulled through.

When Teddy was ill 2 weeks ago the bill came to just over £1000 :shock: We had initial consultation plus meds at £61, £240 from emergency vet consultation, drugs and overnight stay then 3 nights at our normal vets, drugs etc which came to just over £700. The £700 bill the vets are claiming from Petplan directly, we paid the other £300 and need to submit the claim form (which I have on the settee with me just waiting to dig out the policy number :roll:) If Ted wasn't insured we could still pay it but it would be causing some pain. I'm so glad we pay for the insurance.

We thought we were losing him for the first couple of days, he received very intensive care.

Last couple of times with Gloria, the initial consultation plus jabs was about £40 then a few days with follow-up checks and jabs at £20 each. Generally, it was less than £100 and mostly just over the £50 excess charge for my insurance so not worth claiming for - and she managed to do it in two different insurance years!

Twinkle cost the best part of £1000 for her episode a while back, mostly due to my old rubbish vets mind you, they totally made things worse so she then spent days at the new vets trying to sort her out.

Back